What do I need to Mate a T19 to a 4bt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What do I need to Mate a T19 to a 4bt

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 05-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
dj-hawes
1983 CJ7 

What do I need to Mate a T19 to a 4bt

The good:

#1) I own a Jeep
#2) This is my first post (please pm me if I jacked up; ie posted in the wrong spot, not applicable, clean up my post, etc)

Specs of the current Jeep:

-1983 CJ7 bought in O-city for $4500 very used (best i could find)
-32/30 Webber carb - 258ci AMC - Borg T5 (5speed man) - dana 300 (4:1 ratio i believe)
-As far as i know, stock axles and drive train - from what i have found its the Dana 30 front and AMC 20 two piece rear axles.
-15in steel rims with 33" BFG M/T tires @ ~90% tread

Condition of the Jeep:

-Very used. engines is pouring oil when going up hills. rust holes covered with welded diamond plate. front drive line is very loose, tranny grinds a bit in 3rd gear, and i have doubts about the diff's.

My level of mechanical ability:

Honestly, NO experience. But I'll be damned if I cant be a shade tree mechanic when I can breeze through OSU with 2 majors in 4years.

What I have found out:

Mechanics is complicated. I want to do a 4bt engine swap and mate it to a manual tranny while keeping my dana 300. the 4bt weighs in about 700lbs wet. the jeeps used to have the AMC 304 that weighed in about 600lbs wet. so not a whole lotta difference. Im not hard core wheeling at this point and just want it to drive on highway at this point.

First question: Can i convert the T19 2wd Tranny into a 4wd tranny? and what needs to happen to do it?
Ive been looking at pictures all day. Im pretty sure the T19 is shorter than the T5 i currently have. I know the output shaft is longer on the 2wd version vs the 4wd version, and i know ima need a 23spline output to mate with my dana 300. and i know ima have to take the tail housing off the 2wd tranny. I know they make an adapter to make it happen, but its a couple hundred bucks.
here is the link to the adapter:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_183.htm

So can i just remove the tail housing, swap the main shaft with one that has a 23 spline output, and mate it up to my dana 300 with the adapter and no worries?

2nd: What bolt pattern for the bell housing do i need to mate the 4bt to the Ford T19?
My understanding is as follows: there is an adapter plate that bolts to the back of the 4bt allowing for a bell housing of a certain bolt pattern to be attached. flywheel attaches to the crankshaft. clutch plate, pressure plate covered by the bell housing and a starter that mates to the bell housing to get at the gears on the fly wheel. fork and all that goodness is based on the bell housing. then the tranny.

So is there another way where i can forget all about this adapter plate?

3rd: Will the input shaft on a Ford T19 mate with the 4bt?
I think the 4bt input shaft is 10 spline. When i was looking at an NV4500 (not doing that swap due to cost) it said something about 1.25 vs 1.125 diameter input shafts, meaning that some engines have a different input diameter on their crank shafts.
Can anyone tell me what the input diameter on the 4bt is?

And finally, I wish to keep this build cheap. My major problem is i KNOW im missing a bunch of little pieces and i cant let this thing nickle and dime me to death. I have figured out the mounts, and the hydroboost solution for brakes. Im going to attach the tranny to the engine and put it in as a single unit, mate it to the T-case and install the motor mounts where it sits.

Can anyone advise if this is a go or nogo and where i can improve this plan? I am intimately familiar with the official 4bt swap thread here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/of...-cj-7s-537709/

101st Screaming Eagles, Air Assault!

dj-hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
dproctor0715
2006 TJ Wrangler 

dj

Not sure what you consider cheap, and you may have read through these threads already. However, there may be some useful information for you there. I'm interested in what you're considering.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=188003
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_183.htm
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/of...09/index4.html

welcome

dproctor0715
dproctor0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I cant answer the detailed questions, but after you find a 4bt, trans, adapter and whatever else you think you might need you are going to double your original investment in the jeep. Then depending on what you plan to do with it I would consider upgrading the D30 & AMC 20 but they will survive if taken it easy. Also if you have significant rust you might double check the frame real well for rot. There were 4bt applications that used ford manuals (4bt/6bt to SBF adapter) , not sure if they were T18/T19's or something else, you will also need the flywheel and clutch components, somewhere out there you should be able to find an adapter plate if its not attached to the engine you find. Before you decide what trans to use you might try to find a 4bt that has the proper adapter, the 6bt adapters can be used too but almost all of them will be dodge trans apps.

You should expect a lot of time and money into fabbing mounts, brackets, getting accesories like alternator and p/s hooked up, converting the fuel system to diesel, plumbing the cooling system, turbo/intercooler, fitting the intercooler up front, wiring up the cummins stuff to the jeep stuff. Also depending on what you find for a 4bt donor, you may not need intercooler stuff but an intercooled 4bt would be a lot better, depending on what injection pump the 4bt comes with can drastically change the price of the engine and depending on if it comes with the trans adapter you need too.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine swap , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.