What do I need to make a 258 run? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What do I need to make a 258 run?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What do I need to make a 258 run?

Ok guys. Really basic question here. But if your in my boat its not so basic.

At bare minum what is needed electricaly for a 258 4.2L carburated jeep engine to run?

Will it need a CPS or TPS?? I mean obviously the coil, distributor, solenoid, alternator, batery. Im not talking about that stuff. I mean sensor wise or any other b.s.

Im going to be trying to get one to run so I just want to know in advance. It doesnt need any smog stuff anymore so I'd realy like to get rid of most that junk.

Thanks, Frank.

Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've been doing a little reasearch. I pretty much want to do what this guy wants to do:

Bare minimum wiring for a 258. - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

Run no computer or anything like that. Just the carburated old school set up.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Bare minimum; power the Ford ignition module correctly and verify that the associated wiring is in good condition.
If it has an electronic carb verify that it is clean, operational and properly adjusted.
Verify that it has good alternator to block, battery, chassis and body grounds.

Beyond minimum;
Forget HEI anything; if you want good ignition add a MSD-6a directly triggered from the stock autolite electronic distributor; add a junkyard Ford E-core ignition coil and good ignition wires and a brass terminaled distributor cap (you can use the high voltage cap, spacer and rotor from a Ford but don't accept anything but brass terminals in the cap). The MSD-6a will help the engine run with the poor mixtures generated by the carburettor and different length intake manifold runners.

Don't ghetto up the ignition do it once and do it right.

If you decide to bypass pollution devices (including the electronic carburettor and computer) be aware that you will be responsible for paying to make them operational again, and possibly subject to a large fine if the next owner decides to push the issue.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-11-2010 at 07:52 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

If you have a carbed engine you wont have or need a Throttle Position Sensor or a Crank Position Sensor, those would be for a fuel injection engine.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

Do the "nutter bypass" Research it, and DO IT! I did it to mine, and it worked like a dream. I was able to eliminate all of my smog crap, and miles of wiring. It is very simple to do. If I get a chance I will copy and paste the diagram with instructions. I am sure it is on this forum somewhere though. Check in the CJ technical section.

That factory crap is just that, crap. I dont care how clean it is or if it works now or not. It will go out on you. I fought with my factory electronic carter carb and all the wiring, and it never worked right. Did the nutter bypass, and stuffed a rebuilt motorcraft 2100 on it, and it ran like a dream. Never had a problem again.
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

Here you go. I found a really nice thread that goes over the process very well. It even has pictures.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

It will eliminate all headaches. If you lived anywhere near me, I would help you do it.
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
258 , 4.2 , 4.2 liter , 4.2l , electronics , i6 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.