what to cover when cleaning? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > what to cover when cleaning?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 06-24-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Brandon11130

what to cover when cleaning?

i want to hose out the engine bay of my XJ and use some engine cleaner, what cant get wet in there? distributer? fuse box?

Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Brandon11130

oh comon guys,its a simple question, maby too simple....
Unread 06-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
joejoejoe89

ive been wondering the same thing...id wait and then post it in the XJ section to get more viewers...what kind of engine cleaner are you going to use?
Unread 07-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
RedJeepXJ

what year, engine, fuel inected, carb'd?

mine is carbed I just cover the air intake and try to avoide the distributor
RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
TEXASRAM

When I did my YJ, I just covered the distributor with a plastic bag and some duct tape. Found a post by a guy that shows his cars at shows. All hands free, you just need Gunk engine cleaner, water, Son of a Gun tire cleaner & a silicone based tire dressing. Works Great, and lasts a long time. later, Rik
1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

homemade xtras to come.... rear bumper w/ tire carrier, rock sliders.........

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
TEXASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
Brandon11130

what about the fuses and stuff? im sure thats not supposed to be power washed

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Unread 07-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
TEXASRAM

The way I did mine, NO do not use a powerwash, only used waterhose with spraygun on light shower,
1995 JEEP Wrangler, 4.0 H.O. , IL6 4x4, White/Spice, Auto, Custom Center Console, Homemade Cold-Air Intake, 31x10.50x15 MT, Rubicon fenderflares, Black Denim Bestop Supertop, FlowMaster Exhaust, Hi-Flow Cat, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Custom front bumper

homemade xtras to come.... rear bumper w/ tire carrier, rock sliders.........

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS"
TEXASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
gregmondro

I didn't cover anything, but anything that really could get water in it such as the plugs, etc, have dialectric grease on them to prevent moisture etc from getting in them.

don't spray a direct spray on electric stuff. (alternator, distributor, sprak plugs, wires, etc...)

I leave the engine running on mine when I do it (4.0l ZJ)

I have had ZERO problems. But I also do not do it constantly since I don't need to (no mud=no having to clean the engine bay all the damn time, lol)
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
alw041

I made the mistake of not covering anything and i also used a power washer...bad idea. My engine wouldn't start, and it finally rolled over after about 6 attempts....was lucky i guess
alw041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
Dana44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmondro
I didn't cover anything, but anything that really could get water in it such as the plugs, etc, have dialectric grease on them to prevent moisture etc from getting in them.

don't spray a direct spray on electric stuff. (alternator, distributor, sprak plugs, wires, etc...)

I leave the engine running on mine when I do it (4.0l ZJ)

I have had ZERO problems. But I also do not do it constantly since I don't need to (no mud=no having to clean the engine bay all the damn time, lol)

Yea, Ain't ya supposed to leave it cranked when washing the engine if it's still hot? to not crack the head?

I used Simple green on my engine, Cleaned it up real nice, just leave your engine running, dont spray direct on spark plugs, air intake, bla bla bla
Dana44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Brandon11130

i guess i can hijack my own thread so can i put ellectrical tape around where my spart plugs connect to the distributer, so i can go in water etc.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.