JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   What to clean inside of Transfer Case with? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/what-clean-inside-transfer-case-1432919/)

Boss_hog 10-29-2012 07:18 PM

What to clean inside of Transfer Case with?

Ok so I hate asking nube questions like this, but I've search violated google and I am sick and dont feel like spending anymore time readin :thumbdown: I could not get a straight answer and I dont want to F*** up my TC.

I just cracked open my TC np231 and its dirty as hell. Now I am trying to figure out what to clean the inside with and the outside with. I want to paint the outside cause I got some left over engine paint and I want the inside spik and span for obviouse reasons.

From what I have people say clean it with brake cleaner/ carb cleaner/ purple power/ water and soap/ power washer. Wats everyones thoughts?????

Thanks in advance and sorry for the Nubby question (first time taking gears apart)

Pitbull330 10-29-2012 09:23 PM

Definitely brake parts cleaner. I use it every day. On engine overhauls. Transmissions. Rear differentials Ext... Brake clean dries almost instantly. Leaving no grease or grim behind.

jason m 10-29-2012 09:25 PM

Diesel fuel is what I use, works good. Cheaper than brake clean and wont really break down with oil/greese. So when your done seal it up in a old plastic bottle and use it again for the next cleaning job.

Jason.

Pitbull330 10-29-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason m
Diesel fuel is what I use, works good. Cheaper than brake clean and wont really break down with oil/greese. So when your done seal it up in a old plastic bottle and use it again for the next cleaning job.

Jason.

No Diesel fuel, it leaves an oily residue.

jason m 10-30-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitbull330 (Post 14377292)
No Diesel fuel, it leaves an oily residue.

Works fine for me for 20 years, so to each there own.

Jason.

Randonexplosion 10-30-2012 08:06 AM

I would say go with with Brake Clean. That's what I used when I did my SYE. And thats what I use when I crack open a diff.

Pitbull330 10-30-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason m

Works fine for me for 20 years, so to each there own.

Jason.

Kerosene is better than Diesel fuel

Boss_hog 10-30-2012 10:52 AM

Thanks guys. I know everyone has their own preferences, but just didnt want to clean it with something thatll ruin the bearings n such. Brake cleaner is what I'll go with cause I have some on hand. Thanks again

rjbruzan 10-30-2012 11:35 AM

The nice thing about Brake Kleen is it leaves a dry and clean surface ready for RTV sealant.

jason m 10-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitbull330 (Post 14378805)
Kerosene is better than Diesel fuel

True, just most folks don't have a kerosene at the pump like they do diesel.

I use the diesel for the heavy stuff then hit any surface that needs paint with brake clean, other than that fuel is what it gets.

Jason.

Kodiak17 10-30-2012 04:02 PM

Brake cleaner worked for me. Make sure when your washing the outside that you cover up the plugs and such so they don't get screwed up from soap and water.

james04si 10-30-2012 04:08 PM

I also use diesel in a parts washer. Cuts through grease and dirt quick. If I need to paint it I always use a wax and grease cleaner and put my gaskets on dry with no RTV and have never had a problem. I would use kerosene but like previously stated by someone else its not readily available at the pumps like diesel.

The time now is 12:56 AM.