what can shade tree mech do to 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > what can shade tree mech do to 258

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 03-03-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
dpoliver

what can shade tree mech do to 258

i've got a stock 86 cj7...
what can i do with my wrenches and sockets...and a little elbow grease...
for lets say under $1000...
to improve overall performance...
mileage..power...top end speed..

dpo

dpoliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
evilpsych

lets see.. header, exhaust, and carb.. that would prolly come to about $1000..
best thing you could do to start off with..
oh yeah.. K&N filter.. MSD ignition..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych:
lets see.. header, exhaust, and carb.. that would prolly come to about $1000..
best thing you could do to start off with..
oh yeah.. K&N filter.. MSD ignition..
This is band aid stuff. No real improvement. Fuel injectin will give you 40 hp right off. Maybe a 4.0 head. I would start with the fuel injection.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
evilpsych

does the 4.0 head even bolt onto the AMC 6 in the CJ's?? thought it only worked on the 4.2's found in the early YJ's

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by evilpsych:
does the 4.0 head even bolt onto the AMC 6 in the CJ's?? thought it only worked on the 4.2's found in the early YJ's
The head can be modified to work - the CJ & YJ 258 are identical BTW.
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
Josh

Fuel Injection would cost him more than $1000
if he was lucky, he could get TBI for 1200 maybe, i say go with the cylinder head

one is being auctioned off on Ebay for 250, brand new, never used
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
Billy Badass

Here is the deal you can pick up a 4.0 head for around $50, take it to a machine shop and have a 3 angle valve job done, have it milled down and the twelve triangle water passages in the head have to be plugged so have them drill out the holes to 3/4" round then you can hammer in some 3/4"freeze plugs to seat them this will cost you no more than $200 bucks for everything. That will give you 40 hp more. It will work on all 258's any year. Next fuel injection is not an option, but right now I am working on a way to swap the fuel injection out of a 4.0 onto a 258, who wants to pay $2000 for fuel injection. Try the 38/38 weber it will give you a 20% increase in horsepower for around $400. You can use the stock intake from the 258 on the 4.0 head so no cost there. Try puting a beast cam in your engine with some roller rockers will cost you around $250 for everything. Up to $700 now. Next open up the exhaust. Pull a header of a newer grand cherokee from a junk yard. Will cost you twenty bucks. The put headers on them insted of exhaust manifolds, then get a cat back system, you can buy the complete exhaust system but it will cost more. So we are up to $870 Then get the ice pack ignition for $109. Then some platnium+4's That is about a thousand and you will have. So now you will have close to 200hp not bad for a motor that origonaly put out 115 hp. And will proibly get better gas miliage and rev over 4500 rpm that is reliable and cranking out well over 300 ftp of torque. And you can have the head ported and possished if you so desire for even more. Not bad huh.

Later

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:11 PM   #8
dpoliver

Wow...

idiot proof and under budget...
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:14 PM   #9
dpoliver

Wow...

idiot proof and under budget...
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:12 AM   #10
Hayward

You could pick up 4.0 block for 250-300.Then
put all of your parts in it with 4.0 pistons
150 then have it cleaned and bored 120.Then
after it is all together rejet.Ala 4.7L torque monster.All of your parts will fit
in it.The 4.0 has larger bore the 4.2 has
longer stroke, you get the best of both for
under a grand.
Unread 03-09-2002, 06:08 PM   #11
s4b1106

Billy: Humor a moron, if you will. Why won't the stock fuel injection off of a 4.0L work on a 4.2Lif you put the 4.0L head on the 4.2L? I am trying to decide where to go with our '80 CJ-5 next. Really tired of the Carter!
s4b1106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 09:24 AM   #12
4wheeler4CJ

All of the improvements to the "Top End" that have been suggested so far are great improvements (however, I too agree that a good carb is MUCH more economical and trouble free in the long run than spending $2000 on fuel injection, money well-spent elsewhere).

While considering all these great Top End improvements, don't forget about your Bottom End! Check your compression, and also for Blow-By while doing your compression. If your motor has a lot of miles or the Bottom End is getting worn, all of your Top End improvements will be in vain. You could find yourself blowing smoke like crazy and creating so much crankcase pressure from Blow-By, that you start blowing your seals and worse.

Don't mean to discourage you by any means, just verify that your Engine is overall "healthy" before you spend the money and put your time into all of your improvements. Too often the Bottom End of engines can be forgotten.

Good luck!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 08:43 PM   #13
Bob K

to s4b1106: I also asked that question once. The answer is that you need to add temp sensor, crank sensor etc. I was told that you pretty much have to put in the dashboard from the Jeep taht had the 4.0 in order to get all the electronics that ya need to make the thing work. The BBD can perform pretty nicely if you get it set up right.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:18 PM   #14
Billy Badass

Sorry it took so loong to reply, I haven't heard of any one swapping the fuel injection from a 4.0 to a 4.2. But it is are exactualy the same as the fuel injection kit from mopar for two gramd, The 4.2 liter will actually out perform the 4.0 if it has a 4.0 head and fuel injection. They just don't make a kit two swap the fuel injection off a 4.0. All you need is the computer, crank position sensor the other various sensors from the engine and the fuel punp. And of course fuel injection. It will cost you about $400. bucks or less. I will let you know how it turns out when i finish doing it on mine. It should not be very hard. Later

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #15
dpoliver

From what year on, should i be looking at in a grand cherokee parts donor for the 4.0 head and headers?

Will the exaust setup need to be customized...?

different for man or auto tranny?

dpo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.