What axel can i use in a 99 tj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What axel can i use in a 99 tj?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
grabsomebuds

What axel can i use in a 99 tj?

I Have a 99 tj wrangler and the rear differential went out. I heard its better to buy a used rear end but the local junk yard only has Cherokees. I am wondering what rear ends I can use in a 99 wrangler

Thanks
Kevin

grabsomebuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You "can" use many different axles, although a lot of them require significant work. If you're actually asking what will bolt up easily, you need either an axle from another TJ/LJ or you need to buy a crate axle.
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

you need either an axle from another TJ/LJ or you need to buy a crate axle.

Or a TJ/TJL Rubicon Dana 44. or make work a Ford 8.8 or Dana 44

See JP mag
51 M100 1/4 ton Jeep trailer
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Or if you happen to live close you can come get the one out of my yard!

Many will work, few will bolt in. Gear ratio needs to match front also.
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
grabsomebuds

I live in Wilmington, NC. I checked the local junk yards and couldn't find a tj. If anyone knows a place in eastern NC I could go I would appreciate it
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabsomebuds View Post
I live in Wilmington, NC. I checked the local junk yards and couldn't find a tj. If anyone knows a place in eastern NC I could go I would appreciate it
TJs in JYs are a pretty rare find. Your best bet for used axles is forum classifieds and CL. Either that or you go to vendor. For you East Coast Gear Supply is close enough for you that you could physically pickup and save the shipping (which can be material). They are pretty well regarded around here.
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

As said above, craigslist is the place to be. Especially because everyone is getting rid of their stock d35 so you can pick one of those up dirt cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Especially because everyone is getting rid of their stock d35 so you can pick one of those up dirt cheap.
If you just want "an" axle, this is the way to go.

If you want an axle to build on (if you have or plan tires bigger than 33", etc, etc) the Dana 44 out of another TJ is your easiest, cheapest option.

Beyond that, a Ford 8.8 from ECGS is a good option... and it goes up from there.

If you're handy and have the tools (welder, etc) you can get a 44 or 8.8 from another vehicle and fab the mounts yourself. You'll want to make sure it's the 31 spline shafts, not 28 spline, and check the width.

Front and rear gears matching is something to check on all these options.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
grabsomebuds

I talked to the guy from ECGS today and it seems like the 8.8 works best for me since I don't do any serious off roading and custom fitting something myself isn't really an option. I appreciate the help from everyone

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.