What is this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What is this?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 02-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
patrick18
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What is this?

This is a GM 12 bolt rear end. I've decided not to use the rear in my Jeep due to some damage, however when I pulled the cover I found this, and I'm not sure what it is? By the way, Its the small piece on the very top, with the spring on it that I'm wondering about.

imag0243.jpg  
patrick18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
bruteboy

the gm gov-lock posi or coo-coo clock posi.
the shafts,springs and weights are part of the locking mechanism.
as one wheel spins faster than the other,the gear attached to the side gear spins the shaft with the weights.
when the weights expand out far enough,they trip the locking block which locks up the spiders to the side gears.

usually the gear on the end of the shaft with the weights strips off and renders the locking function inoperative.
sometimes they grenade and blow apart
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
patrick18
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responce, I figured it was some type of factory locker posi set up.
patrick18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.