Welding Vs Spool... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Welding Vs Spool...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Welding Vs Spool...

Ok so Im starting to order parts for my HP44. Im going to permanently lock it since I'll have the locking hubs. My question is since I'll have to buy a new carrier to run 4.88s would it be better to just buy a new carrier and weld my gears or just to buy a spool and call it a day. I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible but don't mind spending a little extra if it is really all that worth it. Let me know what y'all think.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a mini spool. That way you can remove it if you don't like it.
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well a mini spool kind of defeats the whole issue.. Cause i'll still need a new carrier and if i buy a new carrier i'll just weld the spiders.

OffroadSC
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just did one this weekend. Shoulda bought the mini spool. He hated it

Unread 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll set up gears once and if you want the spiders back in for any reason you can choose that option. I understand you can unlock the hubs and it'll be open but the mini will be a lot stronger.
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I understand that. I really don't care about taking it back out. Thing is at the price of a new carrier and mini spool i can just buy a full spool.

OffroadSC
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Full spool is going to be stronger. Go with that.
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #8
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Get the spool

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
I understand that. I really don't care about taking it back out. Thing is at the price of a new carrier and mini spool i can just buy a full spool.
You don't care now, but if you don't like it or the LL causes the vehicle to be unsellable, your out a lot of extra money.

Quote:
Well a mini spool kind of defeats the whole issue.. Cause i'll still need a new carrier and if i buy a new carrier i'll just weld the spiders.
Mini spools are plenty strong, especially in a 35. They are cheap and easy to remove. If your dead set on a cheap lock up in the front i believe you will be money ahead going this route.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
jason m

Im welded front and rear on 60's both steering. With that said I like the weld but I knew what and how it would handle in my rig as I drove a buddys rig with the same package.
You do get alot of plow steer and it does make the power steering run hotter, so add a cooler and expect to make more turns to get around.

But going back to the topic weld VS spool, well a mini spool is pretty cheap but if you have a welder thats cheaper.
If you do weld it just weld the spiders to the side gears, this way if your not happy with it you can cut them out and place another set in, it will suck but can be done, yes I have done that

If you decide you like the welded carrier, then do like I do and add some extra steel to connect the two side gears together, turn that carrier into a nugget of iron and it will last for years.

Oh and phase your U-joints, you got to remember you made a drive shaft out of those two axle shafts, regardless if you have locking hubs or not, those will only unlock the wheel hub but the driver and pass shafts are in one plane/phase.
So if the two sides are not in phase then they bind, its like night and day if you dont phase them, trust me I found that out the hard way to.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
Im welded front and rear on 60's both steering. With that said I like the weld but I knew what and how it would handle in my rig as I drove a buddys rig with the same package. You do get alot of plow steer and it does make the power steering run hotter, so add a cooler and expect to make more turns to get around. But going back to the topic weld VS spool, well a mini spool is pretty cheap but if you have a welder thats cheaper. If you do weld it just weld the spiders to the side gears, this way if your not happy with it you can cut them out and place another set in, it will suck but can be done, yes I have done that If you decide you like the welded carrier, then do like I do and add some extra steel to connect the two side gears together, turn that carrier into a nugget of iron and it will last for years. Oh and phase your U-joints, you got to remember you made a drive shaft out of those two axle shafts, regardless if you have locking hubs or not, those will only unlock the wheel hub but the driver and pass shafts are in one plane/phase. So if the two sides are not in phase then they bind, its like night and day if you dont phase them, trust me I found that out the hard way to. Jason.
Thanks Jason that's the kind of advice I would looking for!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

OffroadSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.