Weird Gear Pattern - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Weird Gear Pattern

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Weird Gear Pattern

I can't figure out what would be causing this weird pattern I'm getting while trying to setup my Ford 9. I'm a novice when it comes to gear setup, but I have a general idea of whats going on, and the patience/time to make sure everything is perfect before putting it into the jeep. I can't get the contact pattern on the coast side off of the toe regardless of the amount of pinion shim. I checked runout on the backside of the ring gear and get .001-.002. I checked backlash at several places around the gear and get .007 to .010. I have noticed that in order to pull the pinion support, I have to loosen the side adjusters. I did not have to do that with the old gearset. The pinion & support would pull out without needing to loosen the side adjusters. Here's what the pattern looks like.
Drive:

Coast:

Thanks

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I was kind of thinking you have the pinion too far back from the ring gear, have you tried to bring the pinion closer to the ring gear as all? That is a weird pattern though. Anyway here is a pretty useful link for that may help you out. It seems like one of the example pics on the link for "pinion is too far away" is similar to what you have.

LINK
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Yeah, I found a similar picture on the Richmond Gear instructions while searching last night. I ordered a new shim pack and will play around with it some more this weekend to see if can't improve the pattern. I'm also wondering about the changing backlash that I'm noticing around the ring gear. It varies about .004", but I don't see any runout on the backside of the gear. Could that mean my pinion bearing cups aren't 100% seated so the pinion is slightly crooked?

Unread 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I was able to improve the pattern some and at least get the coast pattern to stop running off the side of the tooth. Think I'm gonna run it like this. Also opened up the backlash a little to 10 thou.

forumrunner_20120505_203541.jpg

forumrunner_20120505_203548.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.