Water Pump Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Water Pump Replacement

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
RedfireGTP

Water Pump Replacement

I have a 98 Jeep cherokee Sport 4.0L and my water pump went bad...does anyone know how to replace one....or a write up on it....Thanks in Advance...

LuLu

RedfireGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Rock1127

I have a few friends named Haynes and Chilton who know--along with a million other things :P

Seriously, though, you should really pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual at your local Auto parts store. It will pay for itself in absolutely no time at all, and it isn't even expensive anyway.

I myself know nothing about replacing it, but i'm sure alot of the other members do and will reply soon. Good luck.
Rock1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
75SV1

This is a pretty easy job. You will need to take off the serpentine belt. and probably both the auxilarry fan and the main fan.Drain some of the coolant out. Unscrew the bolts holding on the water pump. Scrape the old gasket material off. put new gasket and water pump on. Torque the bolts. Replace the fans and serpentine belt. Put back in the coolant. If 87-90 burp the cooling system. You might think about replacing the thermostat and the coolant at this time. I'd get a Haynes or Chiltons to follow direction.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
jgoode3402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
This is a pretty easy job. You will need to take off the serpentine belt. and probably both the auxilarry fan and the main fan.Drain some of the coolant out. Unscrew the bolts holding on the water pump. Scrape the old gasket material off. put new gasket and water pump on. Torque the bolts. Replace the fans and serpentine belt. Put back in the coolant. If 87-90 burp the cooling system. You might think about replacing the thermostat and the coolant at this time. I'd get a Haynes or Chiltons to follow direction.
Tom
You make that sound easy. By the time I finished mine I was almost in tears from frustration (and hitting my knuckles trying to put that d=-=- fan back on).

That having been said, it can be done even by a novice like me. I would definitely go by an auto parts store and pick up a Haynes or Chilton's book and plan on working for a few hours.

Oh yeah, mine is an XJ which would account for the cramped space and knuckle banging...it might be easier with another model.
XM Radio
jgoode3402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
75SV1

Actually, the Jeep is pretty easy to work on comparatively. Usually the scraped knuckles come from bolts that have been assembled for a while. They somewhat corrode together and are harder to loosen. The clutch fan presents problems for some, as it spins when you try to loosen the bolts. I use a long screw driver and put it between two of the bolts to stop the rotation. THen loosen on of the other bolts. I keep all the bolts in there till I loosen all of them.
Believe me, the 4.0 in at least the Cherokee and Comanche have some room around the parts as compared to a lot if not most cars. Pop the hood on a newer Honda. I don't even see how air flows around those engines.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
TXjeepTJ

ive replaced my water pump 2 times ... 1st time was a lil bit frustrating.. 2nd time was a breeeeeze
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.