washing the engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > washing the engine

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 10-09-2001, 01:29 AM   #1
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

washing the engine

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this. How do you wash the engine without damaging anything? For example: Do you wash it with the engine running? Do you cover any parts to keep them dry? Do you use high-pressure spray or a low pressure?

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:12 AM   #2
OhYeah

Hey there,

Get a bottle of Engine Cleaner, like Gunk and then read the instructions. You need to cover all electric components as best possible and the engine must be cool. YOu do not want to spray cold water on a HOT engine. Trust me!

Peace,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
JeeperJay

I second what OhYeah said. I got some water someplace it shouldn't have been and my tach would only work when I hit the brakes for about a week...weird eh?
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:33 PM   #4
my litte red yj

i third that WASH WHEN COLD i use Super Clean by Castrol i have been using it since it came out(6 year's) it is safe for everyone does not have a smell like Gunk!!! my opinion!!!! i wash mine once a month oh heck i do not cover nothing just spray and wash
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2001, 09:35 PM   #5
JeeperJay

Yea Gunk stinks...but it worked pretty well for me. Just make sure you rinse it off real good or you'll smell burning Gunk for a few days. Yuck!
Unread 10-09-2001, 09:55 PM   #6
OhYeah

"i wash mine once a month oh heck i do not cover nothing just spray and wash"

LOL, thanks for the laugh buddy!

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2001, 10:15 PM   #7
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well... FWIW, I just spray the engine down with my pressure washer. I don't cover anything. I've cleaned my engine bay this way after every wheeling trip since I've owned my YJ, and have yet to encounter any problems. I spray it down while the engine's cold, then start the engine and let the water boil off. Honestly, I have had no problems doing this.

In fact, I clean all my engines this way, and none have had a problem - from my grandmother's '88 Cadillac to my sister's '01 Exploder. The key is to not blast anything so hard that water is forced past any seams.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2001, 07:49 PM   #8
91 sahara

simple green works great!
Unread 10-14-2001, 07:13 PM   #9
bob91yj

I use the Castrol Super Clean in a spray bottle, then blast the engine with the hose to rinse it off, run the engine to dry it. I figure if my engine won't take a dousing with a hose, no point in even attempting a water crossing.
So far I've had no engine problems with either, but I do try to avoid deep water crossings. Not many of them in SoCal anyway.
Unread 10-25-2001, 07:22 PM   #10
rev

The best way that i have heard of is to spray your engine with "Gunk" engine cleaner when its cold. Than rinse it off with a very low water pressure. They suggested using one of those old style lawn sprinklers, you know the one that has the bar with all the holes in it. Then run the engine for a bit till it dries. If you want to be even more shiny than spray tire shine on the plastic stuff. My girlfriend read it on a VW forum and you know how crazy they are about there cars ,so we tried it out and it worked great. Its amazing how new it looks even without the tire shine. Her car wasn't that bad cause its a 97 and she keeps it clean, but give it a try!
rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2001, 01:26 PM   #11
jeepzj81

I Like simple green my self because it is not nearly as harmful as some of the others. Just think about where the water runs after you hoase off the engine.
jeepzj81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.