vibration after gear change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > vibration after gear change

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
76flh
1998 TJ Wrangler 

vibration after gear change

i had 488 gears put in last week. i picked it up thursday night and when i drove it home i could feel a vibration in the drive line. i called him friday morning and told him and he said to drive it some.today i checked it out and with the back jacked up, i can spin the rear wheels by hand and feel the gears meshing together and i know this is what i am feeling as the jeep rolls slowly down the street. i am going back monday after work to let the man drive it again. he said today that he didn't feel any vibration when he drove it. i think the side to side play is to tight. i had no vibration before the gear change. what is the opinion from my readers of this. thanks

76flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did he use a master install kit and replace all the bearings?
Unread 05-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
76flh
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sorry, i should have listed all he did. new master install kits, new spider gears and new axles. he used superior gears and alloy axles. all bearings and seals are new. i checked the u-joints and they are good.
76flh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
HandsOn

Didn't do anything to change the pinion angle or ride height too, did they?
Just checking, in case there were other changes.

But by the sound of it, you've got it pegged. You should not be able to feel the "cogging" of the teeth as they mesh. Should be seamless and smooth. Like buttah...
A bad bearing can give you that chunky feeling too. And yes, it's possible to have a bad one right out of the box. It's probably extremely rare, but anything's possible.

Good luck.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.