JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   vibration (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/vibration-1708674/)

tcrews1 10-21-2013 07:01 PM

vibration

Just purchased 06 tj with 4 inch lift. There is a bad vibration at about 55/60. Also, I was told by previous owner that it will need control arms, shocks and possible slip yolk eliminator. Wht do u suggest I purchase first??

biffgnar 10-21-2013 07:17 PM

22 Attachment(s)
With 4" suspension lift on TJ, SYE, double cardan driveshaft and rear adjustable arms should be considered a requirement.

zombiehunta666 10-21-2013 07:22 PM

I have a 2013 JKU with RE 3.5 kit including arms/new drive shaft and I have same vibrations.

RE says you don't need to replace the shafts with their 3.5 only the 4.5. I did it anyway just to be safe.

I've already replaced the front drive shaft (x2) and the couper (x1) within 1 month of the install. Wtf. This can't be normal.

biffgnar 10-22-2013 07:53 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiehunta666 (Post 17032562)
I have a 2013 JKU with RE 3.5 kit including arms/new drive shaft and I have same vibrations.

RE says you don't need to replace the shafts with their 3.5 only the 4.5. I did it anyway just to be safe.

I've already replaced the front drive shaft (x2) and the couper (x1) within 1 month of the install. Wtf. This can't be normal.

Your Unlimited will have a longer rear driveshaft and should be handle more lift than OP's TJ. Although RE springs tend to give more than advertised lift so some vibes is not necessarily surprising.

Replacing two front driveshafts in less than a month does not seem right. What broke on them? What was your front pinion angle like?

What is a couper?

zombiehunta666 10-22-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffgnar
Your Unlimited will have a longer rear driveshaft and should be handle more lift than OP's TJ. Although RE springs tend to give more than advertised lift so some vibes is not necessarily surprising. Replacing two front driveshafts in less than a month does not seem right. What broke on them? What was your front pinion angle like? What is a couper?

Nothing broke. It's just the vibration. First time it vibrated past 20 mph very loud. They replaced the front drive shaft. Then it vibrated at 60 mph. I took it back and they replaced the shaft again and the coupler. It still vibrated at 60 when I picked it up. Not sure if I just need to deal with it or take it back again....:(

biffgnar 10-22-2013 10:07 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiehunta666 (Post 17045554)
Nothing broke. It's just the vibration. First time it vibrated past 20 mph very loud. They replaced the front drive shaft. Then it vibrated at 60 mph. I took it back and they replaced the shaft again and the coupler. It still vibrated at 60 when I picked it up. Not sure if I just need to deal with it or take it back again....:(

Vibration is not necessarily the driveshafts fault. Vibration is a result of the setup and angle that the driveshaft rides at. If you don't fix that you'll keep having shaft problems over and over again. What is the angle of your driveshaft relative to the front pinion? What is the overall angle of the driveshaft? Are the TC front output and pinion yokes tight? Any other issues with the front axle that might indicate bad gear setup?

Evildriver-3 10-22-2013 10:16 AM

Not enough info here to make a guess.

The front shaft is a cv head at the case ? Has the tcase been dropped ? Does the vibe go away or get better faster or stay the same or get worse with more speed ?
What is a coupler, there is no coupler on a jeep.

zombiehunta666 10-22-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evildriver-3
Not enough info here to make a guess. The front shaft is a cv head at the case ? Has the tcase been dropped ? Does the vibe go away or get better faster or stay the same or get worse with more speed ? What is a coupler, there is no coupler on a jeep. .

The faster you go above 62 the more vibration and "thumping" sound. The T case has not been lowered. I may have named the coupler incorrectly. The end of the drive shaft the meets the transfer case is what I meant was so replaced.

I do have a full skid system. It feels solid.

Evildriver-3 10-23-2013 08:51 AM

The cv head was rebuilt.
If that wasn't done right then its out of balance, see your local driveline shop and have the shaft balanced.

If it starts at 62 and gets better say at 75 or a bit faster the shaft is out of balance from whoever changed the joints and center joint

zombiehunta666 10-23-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evildriver-3
The cv head was rebuilt. If that wasn't done right then its out of balance, see your local driveline shop and have the shaft balanced. If it starts at 62 and gets better say at 75 or a bit faster the shaft is out of balance from whoever changed the joints and center joint

I shouldn't, but I do feel weird taking it back so often. If I don't do it will it get worse at lower speeds? Will it damage the front diff or T case?

Evildriver-3 10-23-2013 11:29 AM

it will over time kill the seals and just shorten the life if the center bearing, if you left it there like that for a long time it would effect the bearings

The time now is 05:43 PM.