Very loud grinding/clicking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Very loud grinding/clicking noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
cgmckenzie

Very loud grinding/clicking noise

I have a 98 wrangler, 4 cylinder, automatic transmission. It was making a clicking noise for a while whenever it was moving, but this was independent from the engine(didn't make noise when revved in neutral and made noise while moving in neutral). Last night, however, it sounded like something snapped or broke, and the noise became much louder.

In 2WD, the vehicle operates fine, just making the noise as it moves. I tried putting it into 4WD and the problem got worse, with the jeep lurching every couple feet. The lurching stopped when placed back into 2WD.

I am thinking it is the transfer case, but I have never done any work on that part of the jeep personally. Would I be able to open it while it is still attached to see if that is where the problem is?

Thanks,
Chris

cgmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you broke the front driveshaft. Look there first. Take it off and check for the noise.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
cgmckenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
Sounds like you broke the front driveshaft. Look there first. Take it off and check for the noise.
Wow, I am impressed; that is exactly what happened! The rear u-joint on the front drive shaft shattered, allowing the shaft to slam into the transmission with impunity. I've removed the skid plate and the offending shaft, and I have the parts on order to fix it.

Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have the skid plate off?

-Chris
cgmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Fluids maybe

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.