V8 swap! NEED HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > V8 swap! NEED HELP!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

V8 swap! NEED HELP!!

I am looking to pull my 2.5L and put in a V8. How much am I looking at and what all is required?!?!

jmews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is a 90 YJ
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Well the question is a bit vague. Which v8 you looking into?
I'm doing an 89 tbi engine in my xj and I would recommend finding a complete donor vehicle so the little things don't kill you on cost. Wiring, trans, engine transmission, etc. Plus sensors and manifolds and what not. A donor vehicle will provide all the amenities required minus engine and trans mounts. Look into a good radiator also, need to cool twice the engine.

I'm roughly $1500 give or take and still need to buy/build headers and exhaust. And need a few more gages.
Not a cheap endeavor by any means. Being a 4cyl you will basically want to change everything in the drive train. This is cost for getting the engine, trans, an case all together and in, you will not last long on stock axles. I also have a few thousand into building axles. My front alone is above the thousand mark. Its not a walk in the park.
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Wiring harness
Computer
Radiator
Motor mounts
New rear axle

Stuff like that. It will all vary depending on what you go with.

If you go with a Mopar V8 swap, which is what I recommend... it's one of the cheapest and easiest swaps to do. It's also compatible with your stock gauges as well. The 5.2/5.9 swap can use all stock parts (for a 4.0 drivetrain) as well.

I know people who have done a V8 swap for $1500, and some people end up blowing upwards of $8000 on theirs. Mine is going to cost a little less than $3000. So far I'm halfway through mine. 5.2 V8 was $183 at the junkyard, TJ AX15 cost me $240, and the 231J out of an XJ cost me about $150. I'm also reusing the stock driveshafts until I go with a SYE and rear axle swap.

There are several people on here who have done the Mopar V8 swap, here's a link of the usernames for the guys who have done it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/group...-v8-yj-owners/

bmgadg is running a 5.9 in front of an AX15 and it's holding up perfectly fine.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info. This is my first jeep so I'm new to working on them. I don't have the slightest clue which one to go with. I'm looking to make this a beach cruiser and good on the street. I'm looking to put about 5,000 in the motor and trans. I'm just hoping that's possible.

With the 2.5 I have in there now I would have to swap out driveshafts and axles to wont I?

I'm hoping to find someone that has the time to walk me through the whole process, it that's at all possible.
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Well being a yj and having a real frame under there (mine being unibody) you are already ahead of the game there. I would check Novak or Advanced Adapters websites and see how much swap mounts are and source up a good donor vehicle to check your budget. If you are cruising and not crawling like I do the axles won't have to be as gnarly as some. Look into some ford axles.

Also check into local emissions regulations, its been a big debate lately as to where and what years you can cross breed. But like said above a GC v8 may be the cheapest and easiest to go with.
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, I appreciate it. Since the first response I have been looking into the swap more and more and I'm loving what I'm reading about the 5.2. The cost is sounding better and better as well.

What about the AX 15? Is that the recommended tranny? I was thinking about going to automatic too but hear that is a damn pain.

I have already started look for an old Durango to do the swap
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

auto to manual is easy, manual to auto is more difficult. The ax15 is a stout unit and should hold up fine as long as you don't plan on trying to spool it and light up 4 tires on the pavement. Everything has its Limits, but the ax15 is a good trans. Assuming you have an ax5 now, I'd pitch that in the crapper. Its worth its weight in elephant poop.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
auto to manual is easy, manual to auto is more difficult. The ax15 is a stout unit and should hold up fine as long as you don't plan on trying to spool it and light up 4 tires on the pavement. Everything has its Limits, but the ax15 is a good trans. Assuming you have an ax5 now, I'd pitch that in the crapper. Its worth its weight in elephant poop.
Yeah definitely don't try a 4WD burnout on the pavement.

The AX15 was used behind the 5.2 in the Ram van for a few years, it's perfectly capable of handling the 5.2 as long as you don't make it a point to blow it up. That AX15 is known for being able to take a real beating for the type of transmission it is, and what it was designed for.

The 8.8 is the most common rear axle swap because it has the same bolt pattern, stronger than a Dana 44, and is a around 1 inch shorter than the front axle. A Superior Super 88 kit makes it the same width. The 8.8 tends to run people in the area of $600 depending on how much the axle cost. The super 88 is a little extreme for a beach cruiser, but if you plan on roasting some big tires... it might be a good investment. That kit puts the strength of the 8.8 up near a Dana 60, but you probably won't need it. The peace of mind thing is really what it is. I'm personally the overkill type, so that's where my logic is coming from.

For driveshafts, they'll hold up as well. Really the weak link is the rear axle and AX5. You'll also have to either swap out the input shaft on your transfer case, or sell it and get one with a 23 spline input shaft. I just sold my old one and got a 231 from an XJ with a 4.0.

As far as emissions, the 5.2 seems to have no problems passing at the sniffer. One of the Mopar swap guys lives in cali and it passes.

For simplicities sake, the donor truck idea is a good way to go. A hell of a lot simpler, cheaper, and faster. Beware however, ZJ 5.2s are different than the others. The fuel pressure regulator is on the rail in the ZJs unlike the Rams and Dakotas. The PCM for a ZJ is programmed a little differently as well, it's tuned for more low end torque, and has different fuel maps to compliment it.

Any of the guys in the link I provided can walk you through it. stoveguy01 has done this swap about 4 times now. He did his in 72 hours as well. All those guys have the same knowledge about the swap, and then they all have these little bits and pieces of information that they all know that when combined, those guys become a massive super database of information about Mopar engines and stuff. They all collectively possess enough info to make your head explode.

And I STRONGLY recommend going with the Novak motor mounts regardless of what route you take, pretty beefy and so much adjustability that it's the winner in my book. Those guys are also extremely helpful and friendly as well, they give more than a flying **** about what they do.

Still not enough power.
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome man, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be in touch with them and try to get schooled on the 5.2. Thanks again
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No problemo! Some guys swear by the Chevy 350 swap as if it's the end all be all V8 swap for everything. I see it differently, along with many others.

IIRC they all have build threads, so get your reading pants on. It's gonna be a while!

Still not enough power.
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...5-3-jeeps.html
162 pages of GM swap goodness. haha

but for real, i would do a GM 5.3L
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

5.3 is power in a small package. Its pretty darn reliable too. And COP is nice.

SDjeeper I wouldn't say it's the end all swap, but they are available and cheap to build. That's why I went with it. Many do believe it's the end all master of engines. I was told repeatedly to do an LS over my old tbi.
Unread 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Loads of writeups, including a few I made myself.
If you decide to go Chevy, shoot me a pm and I will walk you through it all.
I use the Chevy engines due to their simplicity. Saying one is easier than the other though would take some direct experience, and I doubt most have it.
Pick yer poison and run with it.
Also consider the weight of the engine, and do not rule out the great little 4.3's that are in just about everything. Good power, lots of room to install it, can use OEM radiator, and so on.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.