using chevy pistons in a 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > using chevy pistons in a 4.0

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

using chevy pistons in a 4.0

i remember reading a while back about it being possible to use small block chevy pistons in a 4.0.

what kind of machine work in needed to make this happen

Unread 04-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A guy did it to a four banger once. He had to bore it .120 over to run 4" chevy flat top pistons. I'm pretty sure the bore is the same fer the 2.5 and the 4.0 so it should work for your motor as well. His write up is on 4bangerjp.com .
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

242ci bore is 3.875" - you'll have to bore +.125" (to 4.000") to make the SBChevvy pistons work. I believe the compression height is also different - meaning changing rods, decking the block, or finding a top design that won't let you lose too much CR (I believe the SBC compression height is slightly lower than the 242ci.)

Possible? Yah - certainly! It will just take some planning, and a good block (RENIX and some of the 2001-2007 blocks will take a 4.000" bore - but you'll want to have the block ultrasonically checked to make sure you'll still have the .100" minimum wall thickness that is recommended.)
Unread 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

what about using the 4.2 crank?
Unread 04-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStreetJeep View Post
what about using the 4.2 crank?
I'd have to look the numbers up and run them. But, I think you'll still run into a small difficulty with the compression height - I just can't say for sure off the top of my head.

Recall that putting the 258ci crank into the 242ci block also involves replacing the 242ci connecting rods (6.125") with the 258ci rods (5.875" - 1/4" shorter.)

And, whatever the difference is, I'm fairly sure it's not a full quarter-inch. However, I've been wrong before...

Quench and compression can be tuned slightly by head gasket selection - but that's usually only worth +/-.015" from stock, without machine work.
Unread 04-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
I'd have to look the numbers up and run them. But, I think you'll still run into a small difficulty with the compression height - I just can't say for sure off the top of my head.

Recall that putting the 258ci crank into the 242ci block also involves replacing the 242ci connecting rods (6.125") with the 258ci rods (5.875" - 1/4" shorter.)

And, whatever the difference is, I'm fairly sure it's not a full quarter-inch. However, I've been wrong before...

Quench and compression can be tuned slightly by head gasket selection - but that's usually only worth +/-.015" from stock, without machine work.
id be real interested to know if this combo would work...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.