uphill stall? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > uphill stall?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-11-2002, 08:42 AM   #1
mike mcgovern

uphill stall?

i have an 82 cj-5 and recently had someone rebuild the carb, now everytime i try to climb the smallest hill, the jeep loads up and stalls, it has no problem going down anyting or even if i back up a hill, but if the nose is higher than the tail, it dies. Does anyone know what might be causing this, a stuck or cracked float maybe. Also its been having a hard time running at higher speeds,while its in 3rd or 4th and i try to accelerate hard, the jeep just blubers and doesnt accelerate. Why is this, any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks

mike mcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Bob K

Almost positive that the float is not adjusted properly. The level is too high causing flooding on the slightest gragdation.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2002, 11:43 PM   #3
89 YJ

I had same problem with mine. The fix it to adjust floats. I believe the book says quarter inch below for the floats, however, this is terrible setting if you offroad steep hills. I set mine at a little over 3/8s below and it help tons. Might be able to do a hair more, but I was worried about starving it at high speeds wide open. It has no prolonged wide open throttle problems where it is now.
89 YJ Islander, AC,PS, 10 inch lift, 32 BFG MT's, sway quick disconnect, rear track bar quick disconnect, 400 watt 12 speaker cd player for tunes,8000lb warn 8274 with 150 ft cable, and a high lift jack.. Lockers, 35's, webber carb and jacobs ignition comming soon.
89 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.