unusualy high idle rpm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > unusualy high idle rpm

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-14-2002, 10:49 PM   #1
Rudy

unusualy high idle rpm

Some times when I start my 89 Cherokee 4.0 the engine will rev up to around 3000 rpm and wont come down unless I shut down the car and restart it. In some cases I have had to turn off the car and start it a couple of times to get the idle down. This also sometimes happens while the car is running, meaning The car starts just fine then I will notice while at a light or something that the idle is up to high, around 3000 rpm.
If any knows what is going on here or has experienced the same thing, a cure for this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Unread 04-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
BlazinYellowTJ

my friend has an 87 with the same problem...idles high when first started, but comes down after he drives it for a while. i wonder if there is a connection? hmmm
Line-x sprayed interior
---------------------------
J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket
BlazinYellowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Rudy

If you find out any more on this problem from your friend I sure would like to know how to fix it.
Thanks, now I dont feel so all alone.
Unread 04-14-2002, 11:31 PM   #4
Drunc

are you sure the choke just isn't sticking??
make sure the petals and lnes aren't catching on anything
Jeep: '88 YJ Laredo I6, Kenwood Deck, Amp and 6x9's, 10" pioneer sub, 2.5" Skyjacker Kit with a 1" body and new front shackles, 32" Mud Kings on 8" Desert Crawlers, CJ style replacement mirrors, ditched the trackbars and the endcaps
Drunc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:52 AM   #5
Rudy

Where would I find the choke on my fuel injected 4.0?
Unread 04-22-2002, 04:04 PM   #6
jg

I have had the same problem with my 1990 4.0L Comanche. Changing the EGR valve reduced the problem alot, but it still happens occasionally, especially when I put low grade fuel into it - it really appreciates a tank of premium, although mid-grade works fine too.
It is most likely an issue connected with vacuum lines and/or emmission control components. Let us know what you come up with - this is a VERY common problem.
jg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:12 AM   #7
MonsterJ20

I had a motor with a bad tempature sensor that sent the idle up to over 3000 rpm. It took three different mechanics to figure out what was wrong. I can't promise it'll fix your problem but it fixed mine.
MonsterJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
Rudy

Thanks for all the feed back, I`m going to try the temp sensor. I think the only way to change the egr valve is to replace the entire valve cover.
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:13 PM   #9
I-4

i learned about this sensor bs the hard way.i wouldn't just go replacing sensors on someones advice.it get's rather expensive if it's not the fix.it sounds like a throttle position sensor...but don't take my word for it. spend the money and have a diagnostic done.it will save much heartache and money.btw, the 4 cylinder uses the same tps as the 4.0.it is a problem child.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.