Unknown Metal Rubbing Sound Under Shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Unknown Metal Rubbing Sound Under Shifter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
BayRunner
2000 WJ 

Unknown Metal Rubbing Sound Under Shifter

Hi all. Posted this in the WJ forum but got no replies, so hopefully some success here.

Transmission was rebuilt at the local shop. Afterwards, a odd metal rubbing sound appeared coming from somewhere under the shifter. It sounds like it is a rubbing sound caused by at least one surface rotating. Sound occurs only on braking and when I hit a large bump.

Shop thought it might be front driveshaft. They refurbed it. Sound remained. They pull the front driveshaft again and drove it around and no sound. They think the sound may be amplified by the driveshaft, but I am a bit uncertain because there is no hint of a problem with the shaft off.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I had one idea at first but if they had the driveshaft out it probably isn't my idea. Check the trans and engine mounts. I had bad mounts and it caused the front driveshaft to contact the skid plate/cross member when hitting bumps or backing up. It may be hard to do but start looking at everything that moves when rolling, and see how close they are to other objects, then look for signs of contact or rubbing.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.