Underhood body ground strap on a 2.5 1987-95 YJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Underhood body ground strap on a 2.5 1987-95 YJ

Anyone have a 1987-95 YJ with the 2.5 four cylinders that can eye ball their jeep to let me know what this ground strap goes to.

Attached Images

16 Crosstrek, 04 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4, 04 Harley Softail Deuce, 93 YJ 2.5 AX5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That ground strap connects to the underside of the hood. There should be a fastener right above it. If there isn't, it's just a screw into the hood frame.
A generic replacement will work just fine.
In the future, post up your questions/issues in the YJ Tech forum for quicker, more Model-oriented responses.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/

...and welcome to the forum.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the welcome. You say the end I have in my hand goes up to the hood? Is that where your's goes. I was kind of thinking it went to a stud on the back of the exhaust manifold but that is also missing. Just trying to work out all the loose ends.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Tophog1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPSAW View Post
Thanks for the welcome. You say the end I have in my hand goes up to the hood? Is that where your's goes. I was kind of thinking it went to a stud on the back of the exhaust manifold but that is also missing. Just trying to work out all the loose ends.
Somewhere on the block or head. Connecting it to the hood does nothing!

From another forum but the basics are the same:

Quote:
It's no more complicated than just the concept of any electrical circuit (car, home, industrial)....you have to have a complete circuit.
A bad or ineffective ground is the equivalent of having an incomplete circuit (loose/open connection).
The spark plugs work by jumping their gap to the ground side (thread side), thru the block, thru the ground strap to the firewall or frame, and back to the battery....thereby completing the circuit.
you can't rely on the motor mounts to do this since they should use rubber/urethane for vibration absorption so you may not have complete electrical conduction thru them from the block to the frame.
Everything depends on the ground system so don't under do it, particularly on cars with computers.

USN vet, 1976-80
Moderator, Nevada Shooters
1993 YJ
1990 YJ
post #5 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 95 was stock when I bought it. That braided grounding strap runs up to a stud on the underside of the hood frame, installed by the factory. The hood hinges should have an isolation pad under them so this strap completes the grounding of the body components (hood).
The engine already has several grounds to frame, body and cowl so attaching this strap "somewhere" on the engine does nothing.
Some electrical devices rely on a grounded body to complete their circuits, the tail lights, for instance. This strap simply includes your hood in the body ground system.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

post #6 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can see the top of the strap in this pic, best one I have at the moment. As I said, that's where the boys at the factory wanted it.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

post #7 of 9 Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Tophog1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The straps on my '90 and '93 attach firewall to the rear of the head.

USN vet, 1976-80
Moderator, Nevada Shooters
1993 YJ
1990 YJ
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Most interesting. Now I had to think about it. I think my battery cables are original. They both have two wires coming from the connections. A large red to the starter and a smaller to the fuse power supply in front of the battery. A large black negative over to the engine block just above the oil filter. A smaller black negative to the firewall. So, the firewall is bonded.

So that branded line that has broken free just may be a jumper like Feetwet's to the hood. Interesting how many more holes his has in the hood lower bracing channel. I have one hole directly above and reachable for the braided cable if it had an eye swaged back on. It really does not appear to have ever been used for a screw, however. Paint is bright white, so could have been painted however.

Could be the various years and models coming down the line got different configurations. If it only had a single black wire to the battery, then it would be the block to the firewall for the instrumentation ground. Maybe in mine and feetwet's, it's a hood bond. However, not sure why my hood needs a bond. Only one attachment and that is a two wire underhood light.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170818_084846.jpg   IMG_20170818_085021.jpg   IMG_20170818_084900.jpg   IMG_20170818_084913.jpg  
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
RIPSAW
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
After removing engine, found the wire terminal down on the lower exhaust stud. My upper bolt was missing and lower was totally caked in grease. So guess mine went to the engine. See them go to hood also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.