Under-Hood Cloth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Under-Hood Cloth

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-09-2004, 01:54 AM   #1
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Under-Hood Cloth

In order to put in hood vents, I'm thinking of removing the heat-resistant cloth thing that covers the underside of the hood.

What is that for and is there any benefit/danger to removing it?

I live in an extremely hot and dry sandy desert climate, and I want the vents to help get the hot air away from the engine.

[COLOR=white]White Jeep [/COLOR] Club Member 33
prossett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
CJ-5

Cloth

The cloth is mostly there to reduce engine noise, it acts like a damper. Also keeps alot of heat off of the underside of the hood and saves the paint from fading so quickly. Louver your hood if you like, but leave as much cloth in tact as you can.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Dembones
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did YJs have that? My '94 doesn't...
37" Claws/teralow/HPD44/Trussed HI9/5:38s/detroits/SOA, shackle reversal on rebuilt waggy and XJ springs.
Blue Jeep Club member 2
Much more info here
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #4
prossett

Location: The oasis city of Al Ain, where the red sand dunes of the UAE meet the craggy mountains of Oman
Thanks CJ-5, I'll follow your advice. Yes, my 93 YJ Renegade has the underhood damper cloth. There are little plastic hooks that hold it on around the edges so you could look for those to see if your Jeep had it removed.

Unread 05-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Nymisus

my 95 doesn't have the cloth or clips under my hood....let us know how the vents go I have been thinking about something like that for a while.....how do you plan on cutting them??
Herculined, rock it air intake, tb spacer, warn heavy duty front bumper with D rings and 2 KC 150watt Daylighters, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, 1" BL and 1" MML, 4"RE suspension w/dicos sitting on 33x12.5 swamper TSLs on rockcrawler
Nymisus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
prossett

Well, I was inspired right here on Jeepforum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/modified-hood-82282/ - nice pics!) but was thinking about trying to lower the temperature in the engine area for some time. It's getting real hot... though there's no signs of overheating

I was thinking I'd drill a couple of holes flush to the pattern and then saw through the sheet metal; shouldn't be too hard.

Unread 05-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #7
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I put hood vents in my hood too. They are the from an old LeBaron Turbo. They look really cool and you can see the heat just flowing out like waves in the ocean.

Anyway, I may be worng, but I remember reading somewhere that those cloths are actaully fire blankets. In case of an engine fire they are designed to fall (the plastic mounts melt off) and smothers the fire.
As people said earlier, its also help despearse heat under the hood and prevent premature paint wear. It'll be no big deal removing it, and if you feel uncomfortable about it, just cut holes through it big enough for the vents.
Unread 05-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
jfw432

I'd be real quick to ditch mine if the hood itself wouldn't need a thorough cleaning afterwards. The cloth has got lots of oil on it from previous leaks and the hood has a nice dirt+oil film all over it so I'm waiting until I've got some time to play with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.