two Qs on sparks plugs wires and motor mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > two Qs on sparks plugs wires and motor mounts

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
cargo33

two Qs on sparks plugs wires and motor mounts

Well I know plenty on jeepimg an mechanics but by no means am I an expert so this these questions might sound stupid but ive just never herd an answer. How often should u change yor spark plug wires an plugs and what is the purpose of adding a one inch motor mount lift?

cargo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Spark plugs depend on type, it would help to know what Jeep you have and engine size. Most of the OEM plugs are copper so those would be changed every 30K miles. Plug wires dont really have an interval, they are usually replaced as needed or desired. Unless you want to replace them or have a problem I would say they should last 100-150k miles. Most people replace them for general maintenance reasons or doing a full tune-up (plugs, wires, and if applicable a cap & rotor)

Motor mount lifts are usually used to correct driveline angles after a susp lift was installed or just to try to help a driveline vibration. They can also be used to help position the cooling fan in the shroud after a body lift but thats not typical.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
cargo33

Very helpful. I feel like I just learned something. Thankyou
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

At the dealerhsip, we changed plugs, wires, cap, and rotor every 30,000. Wires weren't required until 60,000 but sure as shooting they would fail just shy of that so we shortened up the interval to 30,000.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
cargo33

Does the cap an rotor fail often cuz ive never had em fail on my stuff b4. Ive replaced em on a chevy an a dodge but I hvnt on my jeep. The reason im asking about that is my jeep is at a lil over 100000 miles an its a tj. An I typicaly maintain most of my stuff. Bjt ive never really herd a rule on this sort of thing
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargo33 View Post
Does the cap an rotor fail often cuz ive never had em fail on my stuff b4. Ive replaced em on a chevy an a dodge but I hvnt on my jeep. The reason im asking about that is my jeep is at a lil over 100000 miles an its a tj. An I typicaly maintain most of my stuff. Bjt ive never really herd a rule on this sort of thing
Yep. Use a good replacement with brass, not aluminum contacts.

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cap and rotor fail before the wires.
Think of an arc welder. Since the rotor never actually touches the contacts in the cap the spark has to jump a gap. Every time it does it takes molecules of the rotor and sends them into the air and on to the cap post.
It isn't 100% efficient because some molecules stay in the air and bit by bit you are metal coating the interior of the cap and widening the gap between contacts. Eventually there will be enough conductive dust on the cap and a wide enough gap to make it easier for the spark to run everywhere but the plug you intended.
I check the cap/rotor every year and change it regardless at 2 yrs. It is a cheap way to keep perfomance and economy up.
Wires will wear out too but they usually go because of abuse. Pulling them off the plugs will stress the inner conductor and create more resistance.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Cap and rotor fail before the wires.
Think of an arc welder. Since the rotor never actually touches the contacts in the cap the spark has to jump a gap. Every time it does it takes molecules of the rotor and sends them into the air and on to the cap post.
It isn't 100% efficient because some molecules stay in the air and bit by bit you are metal coating the interior of the cap and widening the gap between contacts. Eventually there will be enough conductive dust on the cap and a wide enough gap to make it easier for the spark to run everywhere but the plug you intended.
I check the cap/rotor every year and change it regardless at 2 yrs. It is a cheap way to keep perfomance and economy up.
Wires will wear out too but they usually go because of abuse. Pulling them off the plugs will stress the inner conductor and create more resistance.
Well stated, and true. Replace it all every 30,000 miles and keep things in tip-top shape.

We've had threads started on JF lately dealing with driveability issues and after exhaustive efforts the OP found a dizzy cap had issues.

Unread 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
cargo33

Well I prolly ot to do all that then. Like I said I done it on sum other stuff. Is it very tuff on my tj. It the 6cyl
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Well I prolly ot to do all that then. Like I said I done it on sum other stuff. Is it very tuff on my tj. It the 6cyl
So easy I can do it.

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
cargo33

Lol that easy huh
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Lol that easy huh

Yep. Did I mention with one hand and blindfolded? LOL.

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
cargo33

Well I suppose il have to try it that way then an since I make everything harder than it needs to b il also do it hopping on one foot
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Well I suppose il have to try it that way then an since I make everything harder than it needs to b il also do it hopping on one foot
You're catching on. Do one at a time and take your time.

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
cargo33

Even tho I know this thread has nothin to do with lights I just bot 4 new ones off craigslist for $50. I just put on my light bar an am about ready to go throw it on. Just excited an had to tell someone lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.