turbo my iron duke? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > turbo my iron duke?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

turbo my iron duke?

So from the research i have done it is possible to turbo my 1981 cj5's iron duke carburated engine. Low pressure turbo won't even need to replace the fuel pump. I used to top out at 55 mph with the stock tires, it only has 20, 000 miles on it, and I would like to get 80 mph out of it. What do yall think. Mind you I am a broke college student....

28313_447917587176_6070018_n.jpg  
Cj5beast81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I can see parts on the road when this grenades. If you are that broke I would stay away from a turbo. They must be set up well and the motor must be able to handle boost. Going to be hard to get F/a right at peak and sound like you want to push it to speeds it will not like. I was a kid my 47 at best did like 50, with the wind at my back and down hill.

Its also about gears. what Rpm are you running at 55. To get to 80 it will have to spin that much more rpm. I do not think the motor will take those rpms.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

since your a broke college student you could try these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=35496480366

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=68138107932
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

Well I am very worried about the strength of the walls of the iton duke, but I have a friend that is going to look into making a turbo for me for hopefully less than $700. He has experience with what will work with turbos. I can only hope he knows what he is doing I really don't understand anything about turbos other than exhaust spins the turbine and forces air in.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

since your a broke college student you could try thesehttp://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=35496480366*http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=68138107932

Definitely somethings to considrr thanks austin
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
TDIJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Its also about gears. what Rpm are you running at 55. To get to 80 it will have to spin that much more rpm. I do not think the motor will take those rpms.
this is key. ^^^^^^^^^^

gearing decides top speed not engine power.

Unless you have a lacking weight to power ratio which i doubt.

I'm no expert but to me forced induction carbed is a bad combo off road.

Or at least a bad one on a budget.

interest sake what turbo where you thinking?
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

I really dont know what turbo I was gonna have a friend built me a kit. It was gonna be low pressure for sure.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
TDIJeep

IF i was looking to add boost i wood look in to a super, but without EFI you will have all more expensive manifolds to bolt up, if you had TBI or EFI then i would go get an Eaton supercherger out of the junkyard and pipe it up. at 4-7 psi you'll be fine.

headers down the road, and better piping/intercooler/ intake later on for around 12 psi peak.

Not to sound stupid but a small turbo with a massive wastegate would probably be best spools fast, or a VNT.

Is anyone worried about going in mud or a deep puddle? a turbo gets warm?? this is the main thing keeping me back.
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

TDI I understand the gearing thing but you really dont think I will struggle with weight to power ratio? The duke just doesn't seem like it has it in it. And your right I hadn't really thought about the mudding aspect.
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A broke college student wants to spend ? hundred dollars to increase the highway speed of his rig, spend ? dollars on speeding tickets, and ? dollars on increased insurance premiums. Sounds like a solid plan to me.
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Cj5beast81
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
A broke college student wants to spend ? hundred dollars to increase the highway speed of his rig, spend ? dollars on speeding tickets, and ? dollars on increased insurance premiums. Sounds like a solid plan to me.
Admittedly 80 might have been a little high I would be okay with 65. And speaking from your own college experiences? Maybe your own children? No marks on this college students record.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

It will be ANYTHING but cheap...

Blowing thru a carb is not cheap, you'll spend $600 right there , then the adjustable regulator and fuel pump and even if you did it the cheap way and put the turbo in the exhaust down stream so you don't need to spend in fabricating a manifold you'll be beyond $700.
Not to mention you'll probably always be in the boost and doubling your fuel costs.
Better off with a different motor.

Here is what you're missing, a F/A motor is only better at performance when it's not needed to make power the turbo is just there not adding or using boost, if you use a turbo to get you somewhere you can't normally maintain, that means you'll be using boost to do so, and when youre making boost youre using more fuel.
The idea of having turbo is to make the power when you NEEED to, not to use it to make it because you can't, using it to maintain a hwy speed will be costly.

What you want is a motor that makes more tq around the area you want to cruise and put that in, cruising a motor making boost will put you in plenty of gas stations.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
TDIJeep

Maybe you should look in to some things that free up the restricted horsepower. Like a junkyard TBI MPI EFI set up, then you can consider other things down the road. This will increase fuel mileage if done right, and show give you have a more even power band then a carb, especially of the line.

This and putting a less retricting intake setup, not sure how the prices are at your local pick an pull, but i could get most of the things i need in my tool bag for free.
For **** sakes dont buy a underhood "C"AI. They are pathetically designed for jeeps and trucks is just sad. once i have a jeep again and not a heep i will test some intake mods that wont cost 25 bucks.

I feel ya, Im broke, in college work two jobs, spend my weekends in the jy or under somebodys car working. Junkyards your friend bud, i keep finding new ones.
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
firefighter4x4
1981 CJ5 

I am in the same situation as you are, lack of power with the GM151. I have the same motor and have been looking into this for a while. I have both Rochesters for that motor, the E2SE and the 2SE. Both the of the carburetors have been rebuilt and perform well. I am also looking into the weber 38 DGAS carburetor with the air cleaner kit, about $330 including the dual fuel filter which acts like a regulator. I am trying to find something that would allow more air into the motor, the stock setup just doesn't cut it. I dont think i would put a turbo on it, i believe you would have more problems down the road. Good luck and let me know how it all works out.
firefighter4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finish your education, get a good job, buy a better jeep.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj5 , horsepower modification , iron duke , stock , turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.