Is a Truetrac worth installing over the factory LSD? (JK D44) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is a Truetrac worth installing over the factory LSD? (JK D44)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is a Truetrac worth installing over the factory LSD? (JK D44)

As much as I'd like to install an ARB setup in the rear of my JK, I can not afford the $1200 investment right now. I became more interested in the Eaton Elocker, but the research I keep uncovering is they aren't as strong in the D44 setup due to the unique "2 pinion" design, vs the 4 pinion design of the ARB or even the ELocker design of the D30/35. I've read that Eaton is working to fix this design issue, but no where have I read it is fixed or released yet.

SO this brings me to the Truetrac LSD. Is it so much better than the OEM LSD that came in my X? Are both these considered automatic lockers?

Unread 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

In a word, YES.

The Tru-Trac is far superior to any other limited slip on the market. Personally, I recommend them for front axle applications, especially if you drive in the snow.

Buying the differential is only part of the investment. Gear setup is not cheap so if you plan to do any real wheeling then I strongly recommend holding out for a locker.

I have friends running Eaton e-lockers who beat the crap out of them with zero problems. Can't say the same for ARB's. Mechanicals are fine but half a dozen times a season somebody springs a leak in the air lines.

P.S. Neither the Tru-Trac or the factory LS is an automatic locker. In fact they are not even lockers. An automatic locker is one that locks (for real) automatically by internal mechanical action (no air, magnets, etc). For example, the Detroit Locker is an automatic locker. You might take a look at one of those. Nothing but bulletproof goodness.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There are some times when only a locker will do. These times are rare unless you are one of the guys who only rides on trails with the warning "roll over and body damage likley!" I have replaced 5 OE slippers with TT's. 3 in Jeeps and 2 in 3/4 ton P/U's. I have never regretted it and have always liked the performance of a TT on road and off. Great mod for the rear of a DD.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

The factory Tracloc is junk ,A powerloc is better, but it has clutchs to and will some day need a refresh. A tru trac has ramped gears and is a great L/S.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
09YellowJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so a Detroit Truetrac IS a good choice for rear of a daily driven JK? I'm not doing any hardcore wheeling. And I have an Aussie locker for the front axle already.
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, Locked front and TT rear is a great setup for a DD weekend warrior.
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I run the the tru-trac in both ends of my yj, they are awesome, as close to haveing a locker without having a locker. They are a gear driven LSD with no clutch packs or modifiers. There's allways a percentage of power going to both wheels like a locker, just not a 50/50 split. The most power going to the wheel with most traction. You can over ride this with light brake presure to get more of a 50/50 split like a locker. Unless you are an extreme rock crawler, the tru-trac is a great choice for most situations and has great street manors. Because my jeep spends 90% of it's time on the street and I just trail ride, I went with the tru-tracs. It's a strong practicle unit for most off road applications and is far superior to a factory LSD.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.