truck avenger 470 issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > truck avenger 470 issues

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
joelknopp
1948 CJ3A 

truck avenger 470 issues

first time i've posted, was running a edelbrock 1406 that i had jetted according to edelbrock's suggestions on my 3.8 buick, it ran well except for flooding/dying on uphill angles, now i have a truck avenger 470 on there and it runs like crap, haven't tried it out offroad yet, just huge loss of power and bogging/stumbling at mid-high rpm, (i'm assuming that's when the secondaries open), and no power uphill, the tips of my spark plugs are dry, and show good color, but have strong gas fumes coming out the exhaust, seems like this thing dumps out alot more fuel than the edelbrock did, i'm sure lots of ppl are running this setup, how did you make it work? any advice would be great!

joelknopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Have you set your float levels and try different secondary springs. these are where I had to start with my 470.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
joelknopp
1948 CJ3A 

set float to the bottom of the clear plastic "windows", bought this carb used, and the guy had 2 of them, the extra spring he gave me was the black one as well, got 2 of the same heavier spring, so it's opening the secondaries later, higher rpm, don't think that'd hurt it, could be wrong, did you change your jets? i am at 5000 ft, i know it will be running richer than at sea level, but enough to cause these issues?
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I hated my 470, never could get it tuned, same kind of problems, finaly gave up and put a JY fuel injection on.

That being said, search for posts by JeepHammer, he has several amazing writeups on here as to how to tune a Holly. Having worked for them for several years, he has some great advice.
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
joelknopp
1948 CJ3A 

hahahaa! just empty every pocket, right? thanks
Unread 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
joelknopp
1948 CJ3A 

the guy at holley says there's a problem with the check valves in the metering blocks, some kind of factory defect, gotta send it in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.