Trouble starting, cranks forever - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Trouble starting, cranks forever

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 11-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
ramblin-man
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Trouble starting, cranks forever

I have an 87 Wagoneer, the small ones that are basically the same as a Cherokee, not the Grand Wagoneer. It has got to where I have to crank it for like 45 seconds straight until i hear the fuel pump kick on and it starts. I took it to a shop last a few months ago when this happened before and they replaced a sensor and it worked fine. It's happening again though and if it's a sensor or something I can replace myself, I'd rather do it. Any ideas what it is that could cause this and why it's happening again?

ramblin-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you can explain the start up problems better I MIGHT be able to help..

What I mean is on my first cherokee, it would have problems starting, I would turn the key and nothing, keep turning and turning untill I could hear a very faint gurgling sound, I would then wait and it would get louder and louder untill finally I could hear the fuel pump fully come on and then the start up would be cake.

Does this sound like your gremlin?
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
ramblin-man
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

well the starter will turn over for about a minute straight before i hear the fuel pump kick on and it starts. i called my mechanic and they said they think it is the crankshaft position sensor. does that sound right?
ramblin-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin-man View Post
well the starter will turn over for about a minute straight before i hear the fuel pump kick on and it starts. i called my mechanic and they said they think it is the crankshaft position sensor. does that sound right?
It could be, but it's just a guess. Could be the fuel pump relay. Another guess. Testing is the best way to a solution. If it exhibits these symptoms regularly, it can be diagnosed by someone qualified to do so.
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump , sensor , starting problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.