trouble after engine swap 3.7L. different crank position ring on crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > trouble after engine swap 3.7L. different crank position ring on crank

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
nubby

trouble after engine swap 3.7L. different crank position ring on crank

swapped 03 3.7L(k code) and installed a 04 3.7L(k code). after the change had lots of trouble getting the engine to start and after it started it ran horribly. after some checking around found that the crank position ring is different from the engine we pulled out, the width of the notches are different. what would be the best way to go about fixing this issue, change the cranks out? get a new pcm from an 04? get my pcm reflashed with the change in values @ crank position pickup? any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

~nubby

a few days later..... here is where we are at. any help????? we decided to swap the cranks out. put the 03 crank in the 04 engine, it is running and not having trouble getting it to start but now it is missing like crazy and idling very high (990rpm). compression test is good, coils good, plugs good, fuel pressure good, put a obdII reader on it and no codes. the scanner shows that the timing is 3deg btdc. does anyone know if the cams in these 2 engines are different also?

Last edited by nubby; 06-13-2009 at 05:45 PM..
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
nubby

anyone have any info to help???

have put so much money into this and i am hoping not to have to start over. multiple sources from shops around said that these 2 engines were compatible, too bad i didnt come here first i would of known to get an 02 or 03 and NOT an 04.

~nubby
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.