transmission type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transmission type

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-21-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
RPjeepster24
1988 YJ Wrangler 

transmission type

I have an 88 wrangler with a 2.5 and it's a 5 speed and I plan on putting in a bigger engine, most likely a V8 and I know that there are adaptor kits for it and I know where to find those kits, but I need to find out what kind of transmission that I have befor I get an adaptor kit or deside to get a new transmission, is there an identification # on it or something, I havn't taken the time to check it out sense it is at a shop getting it's computer rebuilt for the 5th time, any help would be greatly appreatiated!!

I am the owner of the "Jeepvette," My Life-Long Project is complete-Just in time for it to provide my new bride and I some financial relief, see the awesome video's and pics at my website: http://jeepvette.com/ I plan to get my wife and I a more family friendly Jeep, you'll understand if you go to the site : )
RPjeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
evilpsych

ok.. you have the AX-5 tranny.. basically a paperweight

if you go V8.. (or with any engine swap for that matter) the best manual tranny you can do is the NV4500. Advance adaptors has a kit for this swap. there are many other trannys you could use, but if you're stayin with manual, the nv4500 has the best granny and top end gears for both great crawling and gas saving speeds.. plus it's outta dodge and gm 1-ton pickups, so you know it's bulletproof in a jeep setup.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.