Transmission Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
zhardin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Swap

I'm a first time Jeep owner, I've got a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport X with a 4.0L I-6 with an automatic transmission. I'm not too mechanically inclined, and I'm looking for a little advice on how to go about putting a manual 5 spd transmission in it.

zhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's a fairly involved undertaking for someone that's "not too mechanically inclined".
Off the top of my head:
Transmission
Clutch master & slave cylinder assembly
Clutch bearing sleeve
Clutch bearing
Clutch bearing fork
Pilot bearing
Flywheel
Clutch
Transfer case
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake pedal (the one with the automatic is too wide to work with the clutch pedal)
Shifter
Shifter boot

I'm sure I'm leaving something out.
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
zhardin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not looking to do it myself, I just want to know the parts I need, and/or a good place that I can buy them from, I've got a guy that is grade A at installing them, looking for a good parts place to buy from, preferrably that ships.
zhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your guy could make it work I have all the parts left from when I swapped from An NV3550 to an AW4 and we can probably meet somewhere in the middle to swap them. My trans had 82K on it and looks in good shape except the oil on the case from my rear main seal leak. Just PM me if you are interested. I have a guy that wanted it for his swap but he hasn't gotten back with me for a while.

I'm in Yankton,SD

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.