Transmission shifts into fourth gear by itself. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission shifts into fourth gear by itself.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Taki

Transmission shifts into fourth gear by itself.

I have a 2008 jeep commander 5.7 liter hemi. Transmission shifts into 4th by itself and stays in 4th until I pull over shut off car then restart it

Taki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Taki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki
I have a 2008 jeep commander 5.7 liter hemi. Transmission shifts into 4th by itself and stays in 4th until I pull over shut off car then restart it
Anybody know what is wrong?
Taki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
mmerlinn

I am confused.

Automatics are supposed to automatically shift into 4th. However, they are also supposed to automatically shift out of 4th.

A standard transmission is not supposed to automatically shift into any gear, else you could easily wind up in two gears at once.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would assume the trans is going into "limp mode", but pretty sure that would give you 3rd gear but not totally sure, since certain years and models changed a bit. Limp mode occurs when the TCM finds a fault with the trans, wiring or sensors and it basically shuts down. The gear ranges you could get would probably be limited to what you could get with manual shifting. There are numerous things that can cause this problem and guessing would be difficult but I would suspect a trans input/output speed sensor is the culprit.

Anyway, what you probably need to start with is getting your Jeep scanned for codes. You are going to need a bigger/better scanner that has the ability to communicate with the trans control module (TCM). IF you pull codes from the PCM you might only find a P0700 which is an information DTC to tell you there is a stored fault code within the TCM.
jnicewan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.