Transmission / Shady Dealer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission / Shady Dealer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
DnC06LJ

Transmission / Shady Dealer

I am hoping to get some advise on my transmission problems..
I own an 06 Wrangler Unlimited LJ. It has about 97k miles on it and is an automatic. I picked it up from a Jeep dealer back in April '13. About a week ago, I started hearing a faint whining coming from her. At first it was just when it was just starting up, and once it came to temp it would stop. The Jeep didn't seem to be shifting funny or doing anything like that, so I didn't think much of it. The next few days the whining came more persistent but the Jeep still ran fine.
I set out today to head over the mountains for a long weekend and while driving up the pass she wasn't shifting. I would get her up to 4k rpms trying to get to 50mph.
I turned around and headed to the nearest Jeep dealer. I couldn't get it past 45mph the whole way there. When we got to the dealer, they told me it sounded like it was a speed sensor but they would need to run a diagnosis on it. After waiting a few hours, they called and said that the torque converter was fried and the cylinoide was shot. The told us the transmission fluid was burnt, and they had to replace some. They recommended that we pay to have the transmission replaced. I didn't have the money to do it right then and there so I opted to bring her home to get the finances in place. On my way out, I started chatting to on of the salesmen from the lot, and he strongly advised us to come on the forums and look for other causes of our problems. He definitely made it sound like he was trying to tell us that his service department were a crooked, without saying bad things about his company.
I finished my conversation and took off in my Jeep.... And now it was running just fine. No whining noise, no shifting problems, ran just as good as the day I drover her off the lot. I drove about 15 miles home, and made one pit stop. when I started her back up, I heard the whining noise again, but only for about a minute then it was off again.

Anyone have any advice on what this could be, or and suggestions, before I spend $4000 to replace the transmission?

Thank you in advance!

DnC06LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
mmerlinn

Get a second and third opinion before you do anything. It may cost you a bit, but it could save you lots of heartache down the road.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

The whine would most likely be the pump. Where are you, what state ? it's not in your profile

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
DnC06LJ

I am in Seattle WA.
DnC06LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Neglecting routine inspection and maintenance is a good way to wreck expensive stuff, like transmissions.

Check ALL the fluid levels regularly, and replace them following the factory specifications and maintenance schedule.

Always get a second opinion on any major repairs. FYI, most Dealerships install new parts to fix any problem. A good repair shop will diagnose the problem, and solve it.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.