transmission replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transmission replacement

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
rshortey
2000 XJ Cherokee 

transmission replacement

I've got a 2000 Cherokee sport 4x4. Looks like I've got to replace my transmission. I've got a buddy that is going to help me replace it but I have a couple questions. Where can I get a good rebuilt transmission? I know they used like three different transmissions, do I need to replace it with the same one and if so how do I know which one I've got? Lastly, I might need to replace the transfer case also. Same questions for that. Where do I get it and how do I know which one to get? Thanks!

rshortey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Please fill out your profile - it will help you get better responses.

I assume you have an automatic transmission?

For the transfer case, there is a red tag with the model number that looks like this:

The tag is on the driver's side on the rear of the case. I think your XJ could have come with one of three transfer cases - NP231, NP242 or NP249.

Why do you think you need to replace them?

OK City probably has a Pull-a-Part wrecking yard, so you could try to get the transfer case from there. Or just rebuild it yourself - parts are readily available, and it isn't complicated.

For the transmission, it depends on auto or manual. I'm not sure that I would trust an automatic from a junk yard, but it might be cost-effective. If you can afford it, you might want to have yours rebuilt by a local transmission shop.
Unread 04-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
rshortey
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hello, sorry I haven't replied, lost my password and just now got time to get back on. Thank you for posting on this. I was driving on the highway and the transmission seemed to be slipping out of gear like if someone put it into neutral. Then it just went out of gear all together and I had to pull over. Now it won't engage in any gear. The shifter feels normal but its like the transmission is not engaging any gear. It is also making an odd sound when it is running like a repetitive clanking sound. One reason I was looking at just buying a rebuilt is I am curious and would like to take this one apart and see how it all works. I am fairly certain it is toast and the last time I had a transmission rebuilt it cost me nearly 3k. I was looking online at rebuilds for 5-8 hundred dollars. Are all of the transmissions they used interchangeable?
rshortey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.