transmission qustions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transmission qustions

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
shaggyd1000
1960 CJ5 

transmission qustions

Hello every one I am just starting my cj-5 project and It has a t-90 in it and the 302 blow 2ed gear so one the first question
is what kind of transmission would you recommend? My thought is to look for a t18 for the ford motor.

Second. would u recommend a used transmission and if so what precautions would u recommend?
Thanks every onefor ur help
Joe
Eh

shaggyd1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't the T18 THEE transmission of All transmissions. Doesn't it have something like a 7.0 first gear? That has been my dream transmission since day one. I did see some rebuilt models at my local 4x4 store Oly4x4.com and IIRC they were $1200.

If it were me I would get a nice rebuilt model, that way you can kinda be one and done, and probably not have to repair it for a while. The other option would be a TH400 or TH350. New they are around 2200 IIRC. Not sure if you wanted to go the AT route though.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

A T18,T18A or T19 will hold up to 302 power. Look at Fords,Jeeps and Scouts.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Since you haven't filled out your profile, I'll assume you're running an early CJ (pre 71).
What transmission you want is based solely on what you are doing with the rig. You won't be happy with the T18 if you're hotrodding or street driving. The 150 or 176 would be a better choice and should mate nicely to your Ford engine.
I would visit the Novak website and look at both what transmissions are available as well as the cost to adapt them. don't forget that the drivelines will probably have to be reworked as well.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Scout t 18's are different. the bell housing and input shaft are different, but most mate up to a dana 20 so you can use the output shaft and factory adapter with the ford t18 tranny.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
shaggyd1000
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj
Isn't the T18 THEE transmission of All transmissions. Doesn't it have something like a 7.0 first gear? That has been my dream transmission since day one. I did see some rebuilt models at my local 4x4 store Oly4x4.com and IIRC they were $1200.

If it were me I would get a nice rebuilt model, that way you can kinda be one and done, and probably not have to repair it for a while. The other option would be a TH400 or TH350. New they are around 2200 IIRC. Not sure if you wanted to go the AT route though.
I don't know about it being THE transmission, I went to Novak and read a bit about the transmissions they had listed my thought was that its a strong 4 speed that I should be able to bolt up to my 302. I'm going to do a ground up on my jeep an was thinking of getting a used one to start and rebuilding that with at the same time as the motor because the hole thing has been sitting for 10-12 yrs
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
shaggyd1000
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Since you haven't filled out your profile, I'll assume you're running an early CJ (pre 71).
What transmission you want is based solely on what you are doing with the rig. You won't be happy with the T18 if you're hotrodding or street driving. The 150 or 176 would be a better choice and should mate nicely to your Ford engine.
I would visit the Novak website and look at both what transmissions are available as well as the cost to adapt them. don't forget that the drivelines will probably have to be reworked as well.
I am doing a 1960 Willys with a 1980-85 302 ford the person that did the swap left the t90 in and it blow out 2ed gear and I want a transmission that will hold up to the power and that will be very reliable.

I was planing on the t150 at first but I found the Novak website and from what I read the t18 sounded the best option because it should bolt up to the motor and sounded very strong
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyd1000

I don't know about it being THE transmission, I went to Novak and read a bit about the transmissions they had listed my thought was that its a strong 4 speed that I should be able to bolt up to my 302. I'm going to do a ground up on my jeep an was thinking of getting a used one to start and rebuilding that with at the same time as the motor because the hole thing has been sitting for 10-12 yrs
Gear wise it is one of the lowest, no? And it is short IIRC, and should be plenty strong. That's what was behind my reasoning.
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
shaggyd1000
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj

Gear wise it is one of the lowest, no? And it is short IIRC, and should be plenty strong. That's what was behind my reasoning.
Well I didn't realize it was so highly regarded from what I have read its a great one and with the info you have given me I am more convinced its the best choice for what I want. I do have one more question would the t18 be able to hold free way speed 75ish?
Unread 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just looking at the numbers the t18 has a 4th gear of 1.0 and the ax-15 has a 5th gear of .79 so you would loose a little bit there. What I would do is just calculate the acceptable RPM's at 75 and see if the tire, gear, trans, engine combo looks good in that range. My gut tells me that this set up is going to be more comfortable in the 60mph range than the 75mph range. Hopefully someone that has done this swap can chime in.
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyd1000 View Post
Well I didn't realize it was so highly regarded from what I have read its a great one and with the info you have given me I am more convinced its the best choice for what I want. I do have one more question would the t18 be able to hold free way speed 75ish?
The T90 and the T18 both have the same gear ratio in high, so your road speed will be the same.
If you want to run 75MPH, you picked the wrong platform. The wheelbase is too short, the brakes are marginal at 50, and the stock steering is horrible.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^^^yes it would be a little scary. No need to go that fast in a jeep man, too dangerous. If people want to pile up behind you in the slow lane, let them. I don't let people 'PUSH' me down the road, I will go 60mph MAX with my current setup.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
oteps
1980 CJ5 

I have a t18 in my cj. I havent tried 75 mph, I normally stay under that. If you dont do any rock crawling you probably dont need it. I normally start out in 2nd gear.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
cdickenson

Not sure about the ford T-18, but the jeep T-18 comes in two different gear setups. Not sure the exact ratio but one has the 6.8? low first gear, the other has a 4.?? first gear. I had the 4.?? In my old CJ and it was great for the street. Make sure you get the one you want.
cdickenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.