transmission problem. please help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transmission problem. please help!!!

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
benjo330

transmission problem. please help!!!

hey guys i wanna start off by saying im new to forums so patience is appreciated.

okay that being said, i have a '04 wrangler x 4.0L with a 5-speed tranny. not sure what tranny is has though. so i took it in to a transmission shop and they replaced the transfer case. its been driving good for a while now, but recently it has been extremely hard to get into gear. it only seems to happen when it gets hot out, and the engine is at operating temp. i drive about 20 miles to get to work, and i leave at 4am. the drive to work it does perfectly fine, but on the way back, towards the end of the drive, it gets hard to shift into gears 1, 2, or reverse. i have to really force it into gear. it feels like the clutch isnt fully engaging, or something like, that in order for it to properly shift into gear.
does anybody have any idea what is going on and how i can fix it?

also i checked the clutch master cylinder fluid level and it is at the full mark.

thank you for all help!!

benjo330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
mmerlinn

Extremely hard to get in gear?

Like grinds when going in? Or goes in without grinding but only with extreme pressure?

If the former, it is probably your clutch, or maybe there is air in your clutch lines. If the latter, it is probably somewhere inside your transmission.

Try bleeding your clutch and see if that makes any difference.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
benjo330

It is extremely hard to get in, but it will go in with a lot of pressure. I recently replaced the clutch before the transfer case. It will occasionally grind going into first but that's the only gear it will grind in. I'm thinking its inside the transmission but I really hope it's not
benjo330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.