Transmission Problem (32RH Auto.. I think.) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Problem (32RH Auto.. I think.)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
MetalArmageddon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Problem (32RH Auto.. I think.)

I have an '01 Wrangler Sahara and it's still mostly stock, besides the guitar amp speaker I wired next to the stock sub in the console So I'm guessing it has a 32RH auto tranny? I couldn't find my problem anywhere else I looked, no matter what keyword I searched. I guess nobody else has this problem..
Anyways, when I start off from a dead stop, it either grinds like hell and shakes the whole Jeep violently or revs to somewhere between 2 and 4 grand and then catches and lurches forward. It also does the high rev thing when trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. Mind you it's only a 3spd auto, so I thought, "Why not try manual shifting for a while?" If I feather the throttle every so carefully, it slightly alleviates some shaking and grinding, but I still want to lose my lunch after it stops. Honestly I feel unsafe trying to merge into traffic because it revs, but doesn't engage for a few seconds. I've heard maybe the throttle linkage, but to tell you the truth, I don't know where it is or what it looks like. I'm 17 and a total noob to vehicles. I also thought maybe the synchros were out or it wasn't catching the passing gear, but it makes me sick to think about so I'm just gonna go with maybe too tight of a throttle linkage for now
Whew! Sorry for the novel. I just really would like to get this fixed so I don't, like, die trying to merge into traffic. lol

MetalArmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
mmerlinn

If you have a three speed automatic, you have a 32RH, also known by various names like A904, etc. Automatic transmissions do not have sychros, so that is not your problem.

It seems to me that you have two things wrong, one, your low/reverse planetary is shredded, and, two, your clutch packs are fried. Whether or not either or both are true, you definitely have a major problem and should not drive your Jeep until you get it fixed.

Drop the pan. If you see chunks of metal in it, your planetary is toast. If the fluid smells burnt, your clutches are toast. If neither is the case, you might want to check your drive lines and rear end just in case, but I fail to see how they could be giving you those symptoms.

If your transmission is toast, it is time for you to learn how to fix it yourself as you probably cannot afford to have a transmission shop do the work for you. That transmission is easy to work on with nothing complicated about it at all. It would be a great starter project for you to learn about how transmissions work.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
MetalArmageddon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did a normal fluid/filter change(didnt disconnect the trans cooler hose and pump the torque converter clean) and the magnet looked pretty normal; nothing bigger than thousandth inch shavings and a little silver goop. The fluid was almost black though.. I put about 4 quarts in and ran it around the block a few times and it still only doesnt shake sometimes. It depends on how much Im pushing down on the accel too. I bent the throttle cable geometry bracket to a pretty good spot to where it shifts at the right time, but still; has trouble shifting sometimes. I bet its the clutch. I replaced the U joint closest to the rear diff a while back because I thought the same thing. Thanks for your help!
MetalArmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2001 , 32rh , sahara , transmission , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.