transmission problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transmission problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
bstalion23

transmission problem

96 Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.2 v8.
dash showed "Trans over heat" and reverse does not work now. Got stuck in snow and rocked it back and forth, and ran into this problem. Any help out there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum

bstalion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstalion23 View Post
96 Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.2 v8.
dash showed "Trans over heat" and reverse does not work now. Got stuck in snow and rocked it back and forth, and ran into this problem. Any help out there?

I would check the tranny fluid level once the tranny is hot and in neutral on level ground.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
bstalion23

I was told I burned the reverse band out.is this true

bstalion23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If the fluid level is not the issue, it is a distinct possibility.....

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

The rear band is for low/reverse, and applied in those positions only. The band is applied in manually shifted low gear for engine braking effect. So, you will still have low gear if the band failed but see if you have engine braking when you let off the throttle. Shift trans to the manual 1st/low position and accelerate to higher speed for 1st gear then let off the throttle. If engine speed drops to idle or near idle then the band is not applying, if engine decelerates with the vehicle speed then the band is applied.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.