Transmission leak 84 xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission leak 84 xj

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Puzzlez

Transmission leak 84 xj

So my transmission is leaking fluid like CRAZY! I can't afford a new tranny right now but I can't find where the leak is coming from. I poured about 5 qts in the other day, looked underneath and watched about 3qts just straight pour out the bottom but I still can't locate where its coming from. It seems to be coming from the top because it doesn't pour from the bottom. You can see a stream running down the side and dripping at the bottom. Any ideas of what to do???

Puzzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
DaemonForce

Sounds like your valve body tube is shot. This is a hydraulic transmission, right? Pull the pan, pull the valve body and give it a good examination.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Puzzlez

What exactly is the valve body? Sorry this is my first time working on a transmission
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
DaemonForce

When you drop the pan, you usually see this big plate looking thing bolted in with like 2 dozen screws. That is the valve body. The tube on this thing is what holds the pressure for the valve system to operate. Depending on what valves are open, this is what decides what gear(or share) is actuated. When you lose that tube, you end up with very low pressure. You experience slipping, lose 3rd gear, then 2nd, then 1st and reverse.

The behavior you described is something I associate with an experience when my car broke down in Vancouver. ATF was spilling out faster than I could pour it down the fill tube. Of course, in your case, I don't know if it's actually shooting out the top or going through a chewed up seal and leaking out the front of the bell like mine did...It could literally be anything. The safe bet is to do a rebuild.
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Puzzlez

I'm trying to find a cheap transmission but its a pain cause I was told I could only use the trans from 84-85
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
DaemonForce

Oh that's easy. What do you have? An 84 XJ? Is that a 4.0L block with the AW4 bolted to it? Just pull another AW4. That should buy you some time.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Puzzlez

That's the problem... It's the 2.8l v6
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
DaemonForce

That sounds like a GM engine. V6? Oh, you have that. Okay. Pull the transmission from any mid 80's Blazer or an 86 Comanche. Good luck finding an automatic for it. All the picking yards up here seem to have manual gearboxes. (・ω・`)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.