Transmission Jammed in "Park" - Any Ideas? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Jammed in "Park" - Any Ideas?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
PrimevalPete
2011 JK Wrangler 

Transmission Jammed in "Park" - Any Ideas?

I've got a 2011 Wrangler (large, 4-person).
I'm having an intermittent problem where the vehicle will not start in the mornings. It's not due to electrical problems or extreme cold - I'm in Los Angeles. It appears to be some fault in the automatic transmission where the transmission just gets locked in place in "Park" and will not move.

1. The problem is not electrical. Why?
First, because I just replaced the battery. The new one is charged and fully functional. Also, I have one of those hi-power starter units that will not only charge a battery, but can start the engine directly. It's a No-Go either way. When I turn the key ON, all the lights in the instrument panel light up - but there is no movement of the starter or the engine.

2. The problem is intermittent.
One of those annoying things that happens in my driveway, but never happens when the mechanic looks at it at the service station. Most times the Wrangler will start straight up. Sounds great. But every now and then it is jammed when in "Park" and nothing will turn over. Period. Today is one of those days.

OK - UPDATE.

It's not the transmission. It's a faulty ignition switch.
It's not always feeding power to the starter when I go to the ON position.
I'll get it fixed.
thanks,
Pete, L.A.

Last edited by PrimevalPete; 12-07-2012 at 10:45 AM..
PrimevalPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.