Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission fluid on T-case skid

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kerndone 
#1 ·
So I looked at my transfer case the other day when changing out the speedometer gear and I noticed a bit of transmission fluid dripping off of the skid plate. Has anyone had this problem. I just had the transmission cooling lines replaced because they were leaking where they entered and left the radiator. The Jeep shop didn't mention anything about seeing any other leaks. Is a little bit of fluid on the t-case skid normal? It's not enough to physically drip off and make a puddle but it's enough to notice when you look under there.

#3 ·
It's not leaking from the transmission pan at all. I remembered I've had it serviced before...reverse had to be overhauled or something like that (early in my Jeep stages and covered under the warranty so I didn't pay too much attention) but it looks as if it is leaking from the transfer case but I don't know where. I'm taking it in to the shop next week to have them check it out. If they have to pull the t-case out to fix it, should I put in a teralow kit while they have it out. I've been contemplating it and tried to find the cost online but have had no luck. Does anyone know a website that sells them?

#4 ·
As far as the leak goes, what side of the skid plate is the fluid on, the back half or the front half? If its at the back, the t-case might be leaking from the output shaft. If the leak is towards the front where the trans and t-case meet, then it could be the rear seal of the trans. The reason I suggest this is because thats what mine is doing and I get three little drips from various points on the front half of the skidplate. From what I hear this is not all that uncommon and its not a hard fix. Regardless of who does the repair, the t-case has to be to removed, so consider any upgrades to that like a 4:1 kit (like you are already thinking about), 2-lo kit, or a SYE while its out of the Jeep.

Goodluck,
Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.