Transmission Blew - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Blew

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Blew

My transmission went on my 2005 TJ today while cruising down the interstate. Not sure what exactly went wrong with it, but there were no gears flying down the road. Just lots and lots of oil spewing out.

My two questions are: What now? Do you recommend getting it rebuilt, buying a used one and swapping it myself, or paying for a new one? I haven't heard back from the dealership yet on costs, but my guesses are $1,200, about $600 and $2,500 respectively. Am I close?

Also, I just had my transmission serviced by the dealership about three months ago. Has anyone else had theirs serviced and then it blew? Is the dealership liable at all?

daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
mmerlinn

So, exactly what happened? Without knowing that, it is almost impossible to give you any good advice. If the oil loss was sudden, most automatics will stop working as soon as a lot of the oil is gone, so not likely a lot of damage unless you towed the vehicle with rubber to the pavement.

As far as dealer liability is concerned, it is unlikely that they are liable unless they added the wrong fluid or did not replace all parts that they removed when they did the service. Establishing dealer liability will be hard to prove in any case.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I assumed as much with the dealer. I was going about 65mph when I lost power and and oil started spewing everywhere. When I looked, the oil looked like it was coming from the top of the pan where it bolts on. The tow company had me turn it on and drive it onto their dolly, and it seemed to do ok in first gear. And it was towed with rubber to the pavement...should they not have done that?
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If being towed with rear rubber on the ground the transfer case should be in neutral. The pump in the 42RLE is driven off the input of the trans, not the output.

If it truly lost fluid from the pan to gasket to trans then it should be a dealer liable repair. BUT, as said earlier, good luck with them taking responsibility. They are called the "stealership" for a reason.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It could be coming from the top of the trans where the breather is. It could have overheated. What size tires are you running and what gears do you have?

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's running 33s with 4:10 gears. But I crawled under it this weekend and saw the transmission case is cracked pretty good. Looks like I'll need a whole new one. Anyone got one for a 2005 TJ?
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can get a remanufactured from Jasper Engine and Transmission for around $2300. It comes complete with a fully welded torque converter, kevlar clutches, and all the valve body upgrades. I know two people who bought one and they love it.

Wait! Cracked!?! Where and are you sure?? I have seen transfer case housings crack and even break, but never saw an auto trans case crack.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Where is the crack and do you have pics? Is the trans mount good, I've seen a few split t-cases and rear of trans cases split due to bad trans mounts. Anyway if the case is cracked you can forget about a cheap repair and/or rebuild as long as a shop doesn't have core they are willing to build one off of. If you buy a reman/rebuilt you might consider not getting your core deposit back too depending on who's you buy.

Back when I was working at a dealer they used a BG trans flush machine for trans services. When the customer bought one of these trans flushes it automatically carried a warranty. Some people thought flushes were a bad thing but all the years I've seen these done I know of only one that came back with a problem and BG honored the warranty. This might be something worth inquiring about.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission case was cracked across the entire front, a good 12-15 inches long. I wish I had pictures. When the shop pulled it out, it broke completely into two. It was bad.

I guess they're saying the u-joints must've been bad for a long time and that caused the driveshaft to go bad which caused the transmission and transmission mounts to snap. Oh, and jacked up the pinions in the diffs. Sad day.

Anyways, I've only noticed the usual clicking and rumbling from the u-joints for about a week before the trans blew. I've got a buddy who drove his jeep with bad u-joints for a month with no problems. I'm surprised this happened. Has anyone else ever seen this happen?
Unread 05-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are we sure we are talking about the transmission and not the transfer case? What you describe is more common than it should be for TCs but is hard to believe for transmission. Exactly what do they claim is wrong with diffs/pinions? Sounds to me like you may be getting fed some stories by this shop.
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's positively the transmission. I've seen it myself...it was cracked all the way around. It practically fell apart when they took it out. The transfer case, somewhat surprisingly, appears to be fine.

Now the diffs they say the pinion gear went bad. They showed me the play in the boot coming out of the diff and there's quite a bit of play. They said that's the pinion gear going bad and it needs rebuilt. They said about $800 a piece. Does all of that sound about right?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.