Transmission Bearing Gone Bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Bearing Gone Bad

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
zstei001
2008 MK Patriot 

Transmission Bearing Gone Bad

Hello All!

This is my first time posting here. I've had my little Patriot for a few years now, and I've had some good "off-roading" experiences with it, but it's giving me it's first problem.

My mechanic told me that a bearing is bad in my transmission. (This is a trusted mechanic that my family has used for years). The car started making a grinding/whirring noise on Sunday. It sounds like it's going to be an expensive fix, and I'd really not spend the money right now, so my questions is:

Will the bad bearing cause any further damage or additional problems if I let it stay like that for the time being?

Will I be robbed of much gas mileage and/or power?

I think the mechanic said it could be $2-3,000 for a new transmission, but he didn't say what it would cost to just replace a bearing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

zstei001

zstei001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
mmerlinn

Depends a lot on which bearing. Regardless, not fixing it will cause further and more expensive damage somewhere down the road.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
zstei001
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess it would be smart to put the money down and just get it fixed.

Does anyone have an idea how much it should cost (parts and labor) to replace a bad transmission bearing?
zstei001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.