Transmission Bearing Gone Bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission Bearing Gone Bad

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
zstei001
2008 MK Patriot 

Transmission Bearing Gone Bad

Hello All!

This is my first time posting here. I've had my little Patriot for a few years now, and I've had some good "off-roading" experiences with it, but it's giving me it's first problem.

My mechanic told me that a bearing is bad in my transmission. (This is a trusted mechanic that my family has used for years). The car started making a grinding/whirring noise on Sunday. It sounds like it's going to be an expensive fix, and I'd really not spend the money right now, so my questions is:

Will the bad bearing cause any further damage or additional problems if I let it stay like that for the time being?

Will I be robbed of much gas mileage and/or power?

I think the mechanic said it could be $2-3,000 for a new transmission, but he didn't say what it would cost to just replace a bearing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

zstei001

zstei001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
mmerlinn

Depends a lot on which bearing. Regardless, not fixing it will cause further and more expensive damage somewhere down the road.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
zstei001
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess it would be smart to put the money down and just get it fixed.

Does anyone have an idea how much it should cost (parts and labor) to replace a bad transmission bearing?
zstei001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.