Transmission 5 spd 2004 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transmission 5 spd 2004

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
gppal

Transmission 5 spd 2004

Hello,
I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler with a 5 spd transmission that makes like a gurgling noise (for a lack of better words) when I am in neutral.When I engage the clutch the noise goes away. Anyway the gurgling noise was a lot louder yesterday but still goes away when the clutch is engaged. Does anyone know what this noise is or is it something in the clutch. Thanks in advance .George

gppal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same year and tranny. I get this sound also. It is very slight and I do not particularly notice it unless I am sitting in my jeep doing nothing else. A mix between a gurgle and rattle is accurate.

IMHO it is most likely just a sign of a wearing transmission component, but not actually causing any problems. I have considered that it is simply the shaft spinning while the transmission is completely disconnected in neutral.

Someone with more mechanical knowledge of the transmission could probably clear this up easily.
Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a throwout bearing making noise, to me.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
jpin86

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like normal nv3550 noise. I've owned 2 2003 wranglers, they both made the same noise. Do a google search on nv3550 noise.
jpin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
anger57

I own a jeep wrangler 03 and get the same noise. It's just your throw out bearing normal wear. Nothing serouse.
anger57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.