transfercase lowering? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transfercase lowering?

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
backwoodsracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

transfercase lowering?

Ow tall can you lift a 95 wrangler before you need to lower the transfercase.

backwoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
HandsOn

I see this has been a few days, so hopefully you're still in need of an answer. Or at least an opinion.
In my experience, you can sometimes get away with up to 2", but often as not, could barely get to 1.5" without needing a drop.
Maybe depends on options and condition. I think there were at least two different types of driveshafts used back then, and some were more sensitive than others. At least that's what my feeble memory is telling me.

When we were lifting YJ's all the time, we got vibrations at least 70% of the time with simple add-a-leaf installs.
So we pretty much recommended a T-case drop for any lift over 1".
If you're doing it yourself, you can certainly try to get away without one, but you might as well buy one up front and have it handy just in case. Return it if you don't need it, but it's there if you do.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
MurtleDaTurtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

car stuff dot com 11 bucks for a skyjacker t case kit
MurtleDaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.