transfercase grinding w/video. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transfercase grinding w/video.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 09-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

transfercase grinding w/video.

I'm having an issue with my np231.

Video can be seen here: http://youtu.be/w44T7AeKr-4

When I shift from 2H to 4L, drive a bit, then try to shift from 4L to 4H or 2H, I get this grinding. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? My thoughts are that it is the shift fork. Do you know if the back half of the case can be removed with the tcase still installed in the vehicle and the shift fork be inspected, replaced?

I posted this in the YJ section with no love, so hopefully you guys can help me here and share your experiences.

seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you shifting while driving, cause mine grinds when I do that. But yea, you can pull the back half off with it under the jeep. You mind as well pull the whole thing at that point though.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Normal.
When you pass through N, the auto trans starts spinning the output shaft. You need to shift it VERY quickly, put the trans in P prior to shifting (this can cause the t cast to not shift at all), or shut off the engine.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply's guys. My procedure goes like this. While stopped, put the auto trans in N. Take the tcase from 2H to 4L. Shift from N to D. Drive a bit. Stop. Put Trans from D back to N. Put tcase from 4L to 2H. Then when I go from N to D, it will start to grind. At that point, I just shift in combinations of 4L to 2H while in Park or N. It will finally engage after I repeat the process from 2 - 20 times. My fear is that I will be out wheeling/camping and will get stuck in 4LO and not be able to make it home.
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
flippy5x0
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mines an automatic tj, but i went to shift into 4 lo and when i shift back into 2h, if i dont put the gear shifter into neutral first then it will do that. if it is in neutral and i start to hear it, i just take my foot off the brake, let it roll like a cm and try again, works fine
flippy5x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you get grinding while shifting, you are either shifting incorrectly, or the the shifter mechanism needs adjusting so that you are fully engaging each mode in the transfer case. Grinding indicates partial engagement.

The T-Case can be split while still in the Jeep. You may want to buy and install a new chain and new shift fork tabs while you have it apart. They are normal wear items that need replacement when worn out.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm definitely shifting correctly. Placing in N and shifting from a full stop is the correct procedure. The linkage is correct and I'm in the proper engagement positions. The chain is new. I think it is warn shift fork tabs that creates enough slop to not engage correctly. Well, I'll make ready the trans jack and pull it out and crack it open. FUN!
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would suggest disconnecting the shifter linkage and shifting the T-Case by hand using the mode lever on the T-Case. If the symptoms are go away, you have a linkage issue, is they persist, you have a T-Case issue.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
I would suggest disconnecting the shifter linkage and shifting the T-Case by hand using the mode lever on the T-Case. If the symptoms are go away, you have a linkage issue, is they persist, you have a T-Case issue.
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the responses.
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled this last night and took everything completely apart. I did see some metal dust stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the case but I see no visible ware on any of the gears, the bearings seem good, the shift fork pads are in good working order, the aftermarket chain looks good. The only thing I don't like is the amount of force used to change gears. I think it should more fluid but I'm not sure. Any ideas on parts /pieces I should check?
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
MattNey723
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it continues after u put it together try holding the lever in 4low... if that works its something worn in the linkage...
MattNey723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNey723
If it continues after u put it together try holding the lever in 4low... if that works its something worn in the linkage...
The linkage had been replaced with the following.
image-3696717214.jpg  
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
MattNey723
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Huh very well lol
MattNey723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Could the grinding be caused by a failing synchro ? That's just my swag at this point.

Tags
np231 , shift fork. , transfercase

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.