Transfer swap: NP249 to NP232 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transfer swap: NP249 to NP232

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Forge04
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer swap: NP249 to NP232

I know there are a ton of threads and subjects dedicated to this already. My questions are detailed.

I have a NP249 that is done and dead. It's input shaft is 23 spline. I have the tags w/dates in this order: dead NP249, newer NP231, newer NP249.

Based off of these tags, will the NP231 bolt right in?

image-115134107.jpg   image-3123923901.jpg   image-146874311.jpg  
Forge04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Forge04
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I'm headed to the junkyard to get one of those within the hour.

The newer NP249 is out of a ZJ. The newer NP231 is out of an XJ. Unknown years and engines.

My other thought, I should be able to switch input shafts as a last resort correct?
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Forge04
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thirdly, feel free to text replies as well as post them 208-8eight0-9862
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge04
I know there are a ton of threads and subjects dedicated to this already. My questions are detailed.

I have a NP249 that is done and dead. It's input shaft is 23 spline. I have the tags w/dates in this order: dead NP249, newer NP231, newer NP249.

Based off of these tags, will the NP231 bolt right in?
I think you were the one from another thread on this and I may have already stated this info. My only advice is that you match the input shafts. There are 3 lengths, 2 bearings widths, 2 gear cuts, 2 spline counts. None of which are interchangeable.

Your drive shaft lengths may be different as well.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Forge04
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was yeah. I was just looking for someone that could look at those tags and give me an answer. I was on the road

Thanks though!

I'll put the resolution in that other thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.