Transfer case questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transfer case questions

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case questions

Hi all,

I am new to the word of Jeeps so I appologize for my lack of knowledge in advance.

I have a 89 YJ with the 4.2L 5 speed manual tranny. the transfer case is NP231. I have been looking for one and wanted to know if there is a difference between the Wrangler and the Cherokee transfer cases, and if it matters if it is a stick or auto. I called one place and when I said it was for a wrangler the price went up $200. Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

My thinking is a 231 transfer case is what it is and will bolt up no matter if it came out of a Wrangler or Cherokee.

bigtom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spline count and length can be different on input shafts. Either need to get one that matches your needs or plan on swapping input shafts.
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
bigtom89
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How can I tell? If the plate says 231 on it what would let me know if it has different spline count or length?
Unread 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Either the transmission it's bolted to, or counting the splines if it's not attached, will tell you what input gear it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
jmews
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtom89 View Post
Hi all,

I am new to the word of Jeeps so I appologize for my lack of knowledge in advance.

I have a 89 YJ with the 4.2L 5 speed manual tranny. the transfer case is NP231. I have been looking for one and wanted to know if there is a difference between the Wrangler and the Cherokee transfer cases, and if it matters if it is a stick or auto. I called one place and when I said it was for a wrangler the price went up $200. Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

My thinking is a 231 transfer case is what it is and will bolt up no matter if it came out of a Wrangler or Cherokee.
The 4.2 has the 21 spline transfer case. I am doing a 5.2 swap out of a grand cherokee right now and needed a 23 spline. Stayed with the np231 SYE and got a t-case with the 23 spline.
jmews is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.