Transfer Case Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transfer Case Question

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
aawpook

Transfer Case Question

I am currently without a vehicle and have my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a tight budget and the vehicle has to be saftied and etested with preferrably less than 300000 km (Canada) on it. I am going to continue to buy jeep products, but as long as I can make this vehicle last me for at least a year until I can save up, I'll be happy.

I have found a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 litre, 295 000 km. It is safetied and etested, with regular oil changes and the only issue thus far is an alternator (sp?) 2 years ago that was replaced. The vehicle is priced at $1800

However, there is a slight issue. It is an AWD vehicle with no option for 2x4. The guy told me that it needs a bushing for 4 low, in the transfer case. I highyl doubt I'll ever use 4 low. Now bare with me as I am a 22 year old female and my "vehicle lingo" isn't very good. The guy said as long as I'm in 4 high, there isnt any issues; everything is fine. It is 4 low that has the problem. I spoke with my boyfriend about it and immediately he said to throw it out and move on. He is a strict GM and Chev guy so I don't know if its actually a "serious problem" or if he's still bitter with me that I want a Jeep. Haha.

It has everything I want and the price is definitely right. I just want to know as far as the transfer case bushing goes, am I in for an expensive repair int he near future?

thanks so much for reading this.

aawpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
aawpook

Bump. Anyone ?
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm somewhat new so I won't comment on the issue, but give the forum a bit more time (1 day, 2 tops) and you should have a solid answer.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
aawpook

Thanks ! Lol I'm just impatient. We have the same last name by the way haha
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes because to remove it all and start to fix it there is a lot of labor involved. The removal and install shouldn't take an experienced mechanic more than an hour each way. Then once you open a T-case that needs one part you will find more like worn bearings, slack chain etc. which will all add up to a lot $$$. So unles someone is real handy and it doesn't have to go to a shop you should be good.

Do you know any other Jeepers who wrench on their rigs?? Do you have a Jeep club where you might find some help??

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
aawpook

I have a mechanic close by who specializes in jeeps and I called him today and asked. Said it won't be a problem. The guy I'm buying it from has his mechanic work on it a bit and got it to go into 4 lo a little easier.

Mechanic said 100$ for parts and labour. Not too. Shabby. Thanks for the reply ! And I'm not sure where to find a jeep club near me to be honest.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.