Transfer Case Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transfer Case Question

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
aawpook

Transfer Case Question

I am currently without a vehicle and have my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have a tight budget and the vehicle has to be saftied and etested with preferrably less than 300000 km (Canada) on it. I am going to continue to buy jeep products, but as long as I can make this vehicle last me for at least a year until I can save up, I'll be happy.

I have found a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 litre, 295 000 km. It is safetied and etested, with regular oil changes and the only issue thus far is an alternator (sp?) 2 years ago that was replaced. The vehicle is priced at $1800

However, there is a slight issue. It is an AWD vehicle with no option for 2x4. The guy told me that it needs a bushing for 4 low, in the transfer case. I highyl doubt I'll ever use 4 low. Now bare with me as I am a 22 year old female and my "vehicle lingo" isn't very good. The guy said as long as I'm in 4 high, there isnt any issues; everything is fine. It is 4 low that has the problem. I spoke with my boyfriend about it and immediately he said to throw it out and move on. He is a strict GM and Chev guy so I don't know if its actually a "serious problem" or if he's still bitter with me that I want a Jeep. Haha.

It has everything I want and the price is definitely right. I just want to know as far as the transfer case bushing goes, am I in for an expensive repair int he near future?

thanks so much for reading this.

aawpook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
aawpook

Bump. Anyone ?
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm somewhat new so I won't comment on the issue, but give the forum a bit more time (1 day, 2 tops) and you should have a solid answer.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
aawpook

Thanks ! Lol I'm just impatient. We have the same last name by the way haha
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes because to remove it all and start to fix it there is a lot of labor involved. The removal and install shouldn't take an experienced mechanic more than an hour each way. Then once you open a T-case that needs one part you will find more like worn bearings, slack chain etc. which will all add up to a lot $$$. So unles someone is real handy and it doesn't have to go to a shop you should be good.

Do you know any other Jeepers who wrench on their rigs?? Do you have a Jeep club where you might find some help??

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
aawpook

I have a mechanic close by who specializes in jeeps and I called him today and asked. Said it won't be a problem. The guy I'm buying it from has his mechanic work on it a bit and got it to go into 4 lo a little easier.

Mechanic said 100$ for parts and labour. Not too. Shabby. Thanks for the reply ! And I'm not sure where to find a jeep club near me to be honest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.