Transfer case not shifting into 4 low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Transfer case not shifting into 4 low

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
aawpook

Transfer case not shifting into 4 low

I'm looking at buying a 97 jeep grand Cherokee and the owner said the bushing in the transfer case for 4 low needs to be replaced. I'm not planning on ever being in 4 low, but my boyfriend said to steer clear. Is this bushing a serious issue with major repairs in the near future ? Can I get by without any issues if I never use 4 low ? Thanks

aawpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Fireball027
2002 WJ 

Most likely the shifter linkage is not moving properly to let the transfer case go into 4 lo.

Shouldn't be a problem to drive it as it, but just check and lube the linkage to see if that helps.

I drove my 96 GC for 2 years without 4lo, had to keep it in 4 all time as the shifter linkage bracket was broken off the frame and would not allow the TC to fully go into 4 lo and would just grind and bind.
Fireball027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
aawpook

So given that's it's a 97 gc, with 295000 km Canadian certified and etested for $1800 with this issue with the bushing you'd still say go for it ? Won't cause a major repair in the 4 high ?
aawpook is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.