transfer case from junk yard - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transfer case from junk yard

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama View Post
I went to the junk yard today and unbolted everything on the transfer case but I was unable to pull it off. I think it was because of lack of a flat head screw driver or anything that could pry it out. I will be going back tomorrow to try again. This time I am going to bring a friend with me.
Make sure you got all the bolts. There are a couple on top that can be a PITA.

Unread 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
DaemonForce

All New Process transfercase units are about the same. The guardplates are either fastened on by 5 9/16" or 14mm bolts. Front part of the case has 6 studs held on the main cylindrical body by hex shaped 9/16" nuts. I don't remember which end of the studs are fine or coarse but the exposed ends should be all the same threading. The shift linkage is held by another 9/16" nut with a small rectangular shim to hold the shifting device in place. The speedometer cable is held in place by a piece of metal secured by a 9/16" bolt. The drivelines are typically held together by 4 8mm or 9mm hex shaped bolts on each yolk totaling 16. There are very minor variations between American and Chrysler assemblies. The TJ series Jeeps might add to the mess but it shouldn't matter. The point is that you shouldn't have any trouble pulling out the transfercase.

If the TJ is similar to Eagle, like having some kind of odd shaping for the transfercase location, you may need to undo the transmission crossmember in order for the case to "drop" and slide free of obstructions. There are typically 2 14mm nuts on each end of the crossmember.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
If the TJ is similar to Eagle, like having some kind of odd shaping for the transfercase location, you may need to undo the transmission crossmember in order for the case to "drop" and slide free of obstructions. There are typically 2 14mm nuts on each end of the crossmember.
The only crossmember on a stock TJ is the TC skid, which he's probably pulled already just to get access.
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Nama
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I did remove all the bolts and the cross-member (the jeep I was taking the transfer case off was a Cherokee). If I had to guess what the issue was on splitting the case from transmission I would blame it on suction in the transmission shaft. 9/16 was the case bolts and the shafts were 5/16 I had to go buy a 6 point wrench to get one of the bolts off.

I got the case out and its sitting in the driveway I will install it tomorrow. I used a chisel as a wedge to split it from the transmission it worked great. I will let you know how the install goes. All I need now is a new CV joint on the drive shaft and I will be all set to do some 4x4. I am having a hell of a time finding the CV joint with out a drive shaft attached to it. I am going to check out a few local shops and see if they can get the part and repair the joint for me on Monday. In the mean time I will likely drive it with no front drive shaft.

Last edited by Nama; 07-20-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Nama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
Nama
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well the transfer case is in but I now have 2 bolts on the skid plate that need new nutserts. One came out but will not tighten back up and the other is half out and just spins. Both are on the same side or I would just run it. I am going to get 2 from the dealer tomorrow and try to get it working. I was so pissed when that bolt didnt tighten I only had that and the mount bolts to tighten and it was done except for fluid.

When I pulled the transfer case off the transmission a lot of fluid pored out from the transmission side. How do I refill that? Will that just fill when I fill the transfer case or do I have to fill that on the transmission side?

Thanks again guys.
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #21
mmerlinn

Quote:

When I pulled the transfer case off the transmission a lot of fluid pored out from the transmission side. How do I refill that? Will that just fill when I fill the transfer case or do I have to fill that on the transmission side?
Re-fill the transmission. The seal on the front of the transfer case prevents mixing of transmission and transfer case fluids.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well the transfer case is in but I now have 2 bolts on the skid plate that need new nutserts. One came out but will not tighten back up and the other is half out and just spins. Both are on the same side or I would just run it. I am going to get 2 from the dealer tomorrow and try to get it working. I was so pissed when that bolt didnt tighten I only had that and the mount bolts to tighten and it was done except for fluid.

Thanks again guys.
Check fluid levels in both transmission and TC and make sure good. You shouldn't have had a lot of fluid flow out though. There are seals on the transmission out put and the TC input. Should be a "dry" connection. Either you transmssion was overfull or the output seal there is not in good shape likely.
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #23
Nama
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well I got the jeep all put back together. Filled the transfer case and checked the transmission. When I was checking the transmission there were 2 plug looking bolts one had a wire attached to it and the other did not. The lower plug had the wire, the upper plug when I tried to check it I could not stick my whole finger in there because there seem to be a bolt or spring just past the threads. I was on the passenger side of the jeep looking for the plug, just as the FSM on http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/ told me it should be on a manual transmission. Could anyone tell me if I checked the right plug? I plan on taking the jeep down to get the fluid changed when I get the cash to do so. It may be a few weeks before I have the funds to do this. I would feel much better if I know I checked the right plug.

Thanks for all the help guys
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #24
mmerlinn

Quote:
When I was checking the transmission there were 2 plug looking bolts one had a wire attached to it and the other did not. The lower plug had the wire, the upper plug when I tried to check it I could not stick my whole finger in there because there seem to be a bolt or spring just past the threads. I was on the passenger side of the jeep looking for the plug, just as the FSM on http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/ told me it should be on a manual transmission.
First, your link does not show anything about transmissions just lots of links.

Second, wires (except ground wires) are ALWAYS connected to electrical components and NO wire of any kind is EVER connected to a fill plug.

Third, there is nothing blocking a fill plug hole inside of any transmission. If there was, how would one ever get fluid into the transmission?

Except in most cases, manual transmission fill plugs are simply pipe plugs, just like you would buy in any plumbing store. If you have a Toyota transmission, then the plug has a hex head with a flange and is different than a normal pipe plug. If you removed anything that did not look like one of them, you have probably removed the wrong component, which in some instances (depending upon transmission) means removal of transmission to re-install that component. Edit: Apparently you have a Toyota transmission, so some of the above will not apply.

How about some pictures showing what was removed and where? That would help determine exactly what you have done so we can help you get your vehicle back on the road.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 07-26-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Expansion and correction.
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #25
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

On the passenger side of the AX15 there are only the drain plug and the reverse light switch (the thing with the wires coming out) the fill hole is on the drivers side up high.

Fill plug

standard.jpg

Drain plug

standard-1.jpg

And no they are not pipe plugs they seal on the head of the plug kinda like the transfer case plugs

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Nama
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok I got these pics.

This one is of the passenger side. This is the plug I removed that I couldnt stick my full finger inside. I had to use my pinky to fit in there.
image0176.jpg   image0177.jpg   image0178.jpg  
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
Nama
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure how you posted them pics so you could type in between them but the first is a zoomed out view of the passenger side of the trans. the second is zoomed in. I am pointing to the plug that I checked. The plug I am pointing to is the same size of the drain plug on the bottom of the trans. The drain plug is on the bottom of the trans not on the side in any shape or form it is defiantly on the bottom. The second pic is the same plug only zoomed in you can see the wire that I was saying was there. The third pic is of the driver side. This plug on the driver side says on it "Do not remove" this plug is clearly not the fill plug. The driver side plug also has a star bit head to remove it.

The link I posted was to a site that has a FSM pdf to read. I put the FSM into a full screen and this is the link I get from it: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0
Within that link it says that I have an AX5 trans. The check plug should be located on the passenger side of the trans. I only see 2 plugs on the passenger side. The plug that I checked is the same size of the drain plug. Also as I posted before the plug that I checked was small in terms of opening and I was only able to fit my pinky inside of the hole, there was something inside that stopped me from going far inside maybe a spring or bolt. I hope this was clear enough.

Thank you
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #28
mmerlinn

The Torx plugs are not fill plugs. They cover or retain other parts most of the time. If you took one out and something fell out, you need to be sure to put that part back in or you will likely have shifting problems. Not all torx plugs have loose parts behind them.

The thing with wires is not a plug - It is a switch, probably a neutral safety switch or backup light switch.

The fill plugs on Toyota transmissions are similar or the same as the drain plugs on the same transmission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.