transfer case identification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > transfer case identification

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
jvg

transfer case identification

Well this will be my first post on this forum, so hello all.

Like the title says i'm trying to identify what transfer case is in the jeep i just bought. Of course the tag is gone, so yes I've checked that. It's a NP i know that much and it does have a SYE but other than that i'm confused.

I don't know if it is a 207 231 or what. As you can see from the pictures the "vacuum switch" has me a little confused. It looks nothing like the switch that I've seen on either.

The jeep is a 92 with the 4.0 but i don't think that its the stock transfer case. I researched the numbers on the motor and it's out of a 97 Grand Cherokee. So that's why i'm thinking the transfer might not be the stock unit either. I don't know maybe i'm wrong? If so whats the deal with the switch? It looks different than the others I've seen.

Can someone identify it for me?

back-case-2.jpg   switch-2.jpg   switch-top-view-2.jpg  
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
jvg

I believe I figured it out. I think it's a 231 out of a ZJ. I say that because of the switch. It looks like the switch for the ZJ's was a 2 prong electrical connector like the one on my case. It looks like they do the same thing, just that one is electrical and the other is vacuum.

Now having said that would I be able to take the YJ vacuum switch put in the ZJ case and use the vacuum harness on the YJ?
jvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
mmerlinn

Impossible to be a 207 because 207s never used a boot-type output slip yoke.

Looks exactly like the 2001 231J I sold an output shaft out of today. Without checking more numbers, I cannot be any more specific.

Get me the casting numbers including suffixes off of the front case, rear case, and tail housing. That will narrow it down some, but won't give the exact year.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.